New York City Gas Rationing To Continue Through Friday
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | November 19, 2012 11:39 PM EST
The odd-even gas rationing system in New York City would be extended through Friday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Sunday.
The odd-even system launched to contain dramatic fuel shortage after Superstorm Sandy has helped in reducing queues for fuel while a third of the city's retail stations remain closed.
“With 30 percent of gas stations still closed and a major travel week coming, I am extending the successful odd-even system on gas and diesel fuel purchases to ensure we do not risk going back to the extreme lines we saw prior to the system being implemented,” the mayor said, according to Reuters.
Rationing came into effect in New York City Nov. 9 after the superstorm stuck the U.S. east coast. While the system has ended in New Jersey and on Long Island, officials plan to reevaluate how long they could extend the system in New York City.
Power outages and inventories that got stacked up at refineries and terminals owing to heavy storm along the U.S. east coast seem to have compounded fuel shortage issues.
Even as gas rationing brought relief, it seems to have come at a cost. While some drivers complained that it was inconvenient, a few others found it to be a reminder of the toll exacted on their lives by Superstorm Sandy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales