Manchester United Star Could Leave as He Considers Lucrative Offer – Report
By Adrian Back | November 19, 2012 11:27 PM EST
Manchester United could be set to lose one of their most established defenders with the news that Rio Ferdinand is said to be considering leaving the club at the end of the season when his contract expires.
Shanghai Shenhua have already flexed their financial muscles when they managed to convince former Chelsea duo Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba to leave Stamford Bridge in order to play in the Chinese Super League.
Anelka is believed to earn around £175,000-a-week, while his fellow striker Drogba signed a two-and-a-half year deal that saw him earn a weekly wage of £195,000.
Ferdinand is out of contract at the end of the season, but manager Sir Alex Ferguson has suggested that he wants to keep the defender at the club as he believes he can still perform at the top for years to come.
"I think Rio can play for two or three more years," said Ferguson. "He is not as quick as he was but that is not a big issue for me. His experience is important and there is no reason he can't stay on. I didn't even realise his contract was up."
The former West Ham and Leeds defender made a total of 38 appearances for United last season despite numerous injury concerns, while this campaign has seen him start 10 of the opening 12 Premier League games.
Ferdinand recently gave an interview to Inside United in which he stated that he would consider his future over the course of the season.
"The best thing I can do is to look at it at Christmas, and then again in the summer, to see how I'm feeling and go from there. But hearing the manager say things like that definitely puts the spring back in your step," said the 34-year-old.
"I'll have a better idea of that in December or January time, when the games start coming thick and fast. That is when it really hits you and you know the hard work really has to start. I'll probably get a better gauge of where I'm at fitness-wise and the benefit of having the summer off then."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged