Manchester United Star Could Leave as He Considers Lucrative Offer – Report
By Adrian Back | November 19, 2012 11:27 PM EST
Manchester United could be set to lose one of their most established defenders with the news that Rio Ferdinand is said to be considering leaving the club at the end of the season when his contract expires.
Shanghai Shenhua have already flexed their financial muscles when they managed to convince former Chelsea duo Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba to leave Stamford Bridge in order to play in the Chinese Super League.
Anelka is believed to earn around £175,000-a-week, while his fellow striker Drogba signed a two-and-a-half year deal that saw him earn a weekly wage of £195,000.
Ferdinand is out of contract at the end of the season, but manager Sir Alex Ferguson has suggested that he wants to keep the defender at the club as he believes he can still perform at the top for years to come.
"I think Rio can play for two or three more years," said Ferguson. "He is not as quick as he was but that is not a big issue for me. His experience is important and there is no reason he can't stay on. I didn't even realise his contract was up."
The former West Ham and Leeds defender made a total of 38 appearances for United last season despite numerous injury concerns, while this campaign has seen him start 10 of the opening 12 Premier League games.
Ferdinand recently gave an interview to Inside United in which he stated that he would consider his future over the course of the season.
"The best thing I can do is to look at it at Christmas, and then again in the summer, to see how I'm feeling and go from there. But hearing the manager say things like that definitely puts the spring back in your step," said the 34-year-old.
"I'll have a better idea of that in December or January time, when the games start coming thick and fast. That is when it really hits you and you know the hard work really has to start. I'll probably get a better gauge of where I'm at fitness-wise and the benefit of having the summer off then."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More