Rodgers Discloses January Transfer Plans
By Nick Howson | November 19, 2012 11:24 PM EST
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says the club will look to make significant moves in the January transfer window to help improve on their stuttering start to the season.
Victory over Wigan Athletic at the weekend was just The Reds' third in the league this season, as Rodgers has struggled to translate his football philosophy he developed at Swansea City in his early months on Merseyside.
Amid the deficiencies of his own players, Rodgers failed to properly replace a number of first-team players, including Craig Bellamy, Dirk Kuyt and Andy Carroll, who was allowed to leave the club on loan for West Ham United, and the Northern Irish boss promises the club will be active after the New Year.
"We're looking to do business in the striking department in January," said Rodgers.
"The reality is that there was always going to be a bit of movement this season with the club trying to regain some of their money. This season was always going to be difficult.
"We'll look to do something in the January transfer window, though. There's not going to be wholesale changes in terms of players coming in, that's the reality of where the club is at.
"We're looking to grow over the next six months, we'll get some reinforcements in January and that will support the group who have been magnificent for me so far.
"Hopefully in the summer we can build again."
The club suffered from the embarrassment of missing out on American midfielder Clint Dempsey, who joined Tottenham Hotspur on transfer deadline day in the summer, leaving Rodgers with a hole in his Liverpool attack.
With Fabio Borini out until the New Year, Liverpool are in dire need of additional attacking resources with the onus continually on Luis Suarez, who scored his 9th and 10th goals in the season in the weekend win over The Latics.
The remainder of the Liverpool team has contributed just seven league goals this season however, the stumbling blocks for the club is both finding players of a sufficient quality and at a club who are not currently playing Champions League football, a carrot which the Anfield club are unable to offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced