Rodgers Discloses January Transfer Plans
By Nick Howson | November 19, 2012 11:24 PM EST
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says the club will look to make significant moves in the January transfer window to help improve on their stuttering start to the season.
Victory over Wigan Athletic at the weekend was just The Reds' third in the league this season, as Rodgers has struggled to translate his football philosophy he developed at Swansea City in his early months on Merseyside.
Amid the deficiencies of his own players, Rodgers failed to properly replace a number of first-team players, including Craig Bellamy, Dirk Kuyt and Andy Carroll, who was allowed to leave the club on loan for West Ham United, and the Northern Irish boss promises the club will be active after the New Year.
"We're looking to do business in the striking department in January," said Rodgers.
"The reality is that there was always going to be a bit of movement this season with the club trying to regain some of their money. This season was always going to be difficult.
"We'll look to do something in the January transfer window, though. There's not going to be wholesale changes in terms of players coming in, that's the reality of where the club is at.
"We're looking to grow over the next six months, we'll get some reinforcements in January and that will support the group who have been magnificent for me so far.
"Hopefully in the summer we can build again."
The club suffered from the embarrassment of missing out on American midfielder Clint Dempsey, who joined Tottenham Hotspur on transfer deadline day in the summer, leaving Rodgers with a hole in his Liverpool attack.
With Fabio Borini out until the New Year, Liverpool are in dire need of additional attacking resources with the onus continually on Luis Suarez, who scored his 9th and 10th goals in the season in the weekend win over The Latics.
The remainder of the Liverpool team has contributed just seven league goals this season however, the stumbling blocks for the club is both finding players of a sufficient quality and at a club who are not currently playing Champions League football, a carrot which the Anfield club are unable to offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date