Rodgers Discloses January Transfer Plans
By Nick Howson | November 19, 2012 11:24 PM EST
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says the club will look to make significant moves in the January transfer window to help improve on their stuttering start to the season.
Victory over Wigan Athletic at the weekend was just The Reds' third in the league this season, as Rodgers has struggled to translate his football philosophy he developed at Swansea City in his early months on Merseyside.
Amid the deficiencies of his own players, Rodgers failed to properly replace a number of first-team players, including Craig Bellamy, Dirk Kuyt and Andy Carroll, who was allowed to leave the club on loan for West Ham United, and the Northern Irish boss promises the club will be active after the New Year.
"We're looking to do business in the striking department in January," said Rodgers.
"The reality is that there was always going to be a bit of movement this season with the club trying to regain some of their money. This season was always going to be difficult.
"We'll look to do something in the January transfer window, though. There's not going to be wholesale changes in terms of players coming in, that's the reality of where the club is at.
"We're looking to grow over the next six months, we'll get some reinforcements in January and that will support the group who have been magnificent for me so far.
"Hopefully in the summer we can build again."
The club suffered from the embarrassment of missing out on American midfielder Clint Dempsey, who joined Tottenham Hotspur on transfer deadline day in the summer, leaving Rodgers with a hole in his Liverpool attack.
With Fabio Borini out until the New Year, Liverpool are in dire need of additional attacking resources with the onus continually on Luis Suarez, who scored his 9th and 10th goals in the season in the weekend win over The Latics.
The remainder of the Liverpool team has contributed just seven league goals this season however, the stumbling blocks for the club is both finding players of a sufficient quality and at a club who are not currently playing Champions League football, a carrot which the Anfield club are unable to offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James