Stock index futures signal early gains
November 19, 2012 10:49 PM EST
Stock index futures pointed to a higher open on Wall Street on Monday, with futures for the S&P 500 up 0.46 percent, Dow Jones futures up 0.4 percent and Nasdaq 100 futures up 0.47 percent at 1021 GMT.
Asian and European stocks climbed and German government bond prices fell as investors were encouraged by an improving outlook for talks to resolve an imminent fiscal crunch in the United States.
Leading U.S. lawmakers expressed confidence on Sunday that they could reach a deal to avert the "fiscal cliff" even as they laid down markers on taxes and spending that may make any agreement more difficult.
Networking equipment company Cisco Systems Inc
Wal-Mart Stores Inc
Rupert Murdoch's News Corp
Online financial services company ETrade Financial Corp
On the macro front, investors awaited data on existing home sales for October, due at 1500 GMT. Economists in a Reuters survey forecast a 4.75 million annualized unit total, a repeat of the September annualized total. Investors also eyed the November housing market index, due at 1500 GMT.
Hope that U.S. politicians would find common ground to steer clear of the "fiscal cliff" boosted stocks on Friday, though the gains were not enough to offset the week's losses.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> added 45.93 points, or 0.37 percent, to 12,588.31. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> rose 6.55 points, or 0.48 percent, to 1,359.88. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> gained 16.19 points, or 0.57 percent, to 2,853.13.
(Reporting by Blaise Robinson; Editing by Catherine Evans)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares