Stock index futures signal early gains
November 19, 2012 10:49 PM EST
Stock index futures pointed to a higher open on Wall Street on Monday, with futures for the S&P 500 up 0.46 percent, Dow Jones futures up 0.4 percent and Nasdaq 100 futures up 0.47 percent at 1021 GMT.
Asian and European stocks climbed and German government bond prices fell as investors were encouraged by an improving outlook for talks to resolve an imminent fiscal crunch in the United States.
Leading U.S. lawmakers expressed confidence on Sunday that they could reach a deal to avert the "fiscal cliff" even as they laid down markers on taxes and spending that may make any agreement more difficult.
Networking equipment company Cisco Systems Inc
Wal-Mart Stores Inc
Rupert Murdoch's News Corp
Online financial services company ETrade Financial Corp
On the macro front, investors awaited data on existing home sales for October, due at 1500 GMT. Economists in a Reuters survey forecast a 4.75 million annualized unit total, a repeat of the September annualized total. Investors also eyed the November housing market index, due at 1500 GMT.
Hope that U.S. politicians would find common ground to steer clear of the "fiscal cliff" boosted stocks on Friday, though the gains were not enough to offset the week's losses.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> added 45.93 points, or 0.37 percent, to 12,588.31. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> rose 6.55 points, or 0.48 percent, to 1,359.88. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> gained 16.19 points, or 0.57 percent, to 2,853.13.
(Reporting by Blaise Robinson; Editing by Catherine Evans)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica