The Nexus 10 can be rooted and CWM Recovery can be installed.
Google announced its Nexus 10, described as world's highest resolution tablet display, alongside Nexus 4 and the 3G version of Nexus 7.
Manufactured by Samsung, the tablet uses a dual-core A15 processor and features MIMO Wi-Fi technology to deliver web browsing speeds up to 4x faster than regular Wi-Fi speeds.
Featuring the latest version of Jelly Bean, Android 4.2, the 10in tablet went on sale in the UK recently along with the other new Nexus devices. Interestingly, the 32GB version of the tablet was sold out within some time of going on sale.
Meanwhile, senior XDA developer shimp208 has released two zip packages allowing Nexus 10 users to install ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery as well as to root their devices.
The developer confirms that the root is working but the procedure involved is "risky". Nexus 10 users who are looking to root their tablets and install CWM Recovery may follow the tutorial below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device during the procedure; therefore, proceed at your own risk.
1) Download USB Drivers for Nexus 10 and enable the USB Debugging mode.
2) Ensure that that the bootloader of Nexus 10 is unlocked and ADB is installed.
3) Create a backup of all your important data before proceeding.
4) The battery of your device should carry more than 80 per cent of charge.
5) The root method below is only applicable on Nexus 10, do not try it on any other variant.
Steps to install CWM Recovery on Nexus 10
1) Download Fastboot.zip [for Windows OS]
2) Download CWMR 184.108.40.206 touch version [File name: recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-manta-Wfix-by-damien667.img]
3) Download CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip
4) Extract the downloaded Fastbbot.zip in a folder of your computer and then copy the extracted Fastboot folder to the root of C drive
5) Copy the CWMR 18.104.22.168 touch version image file to the Fastboot folder. Rename the file to recovery.img from recovery-clockwork-touch-22.214.171.124-manta-Wfix-by-damien667.img
6) Power off the Nexus 10. The boot into fastboot mode by pressing Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the screen turns on
7) Plug in the tablet to the computer using USB cable
8) Open the Command prompt as an Administrator (right click on Command prompt and then click on Run as administrator). Type the following commands as mentioned below
a) cd C:Fastboot
b) fastboot devices
c) fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
d) fastboot reboot
9) The tablet will now boot reboot and you should have CWM Recovery installed on your nexus 10
Steps to Root Nexus 10
1) Copy the downloaded CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip to the SD card of your device. Do not extract it
2) Boot into recovery mode by turning off the device and then boot into bootloader. Once you are in bootloader using the Volume keys browse to 'Recovery Mode' and select it using the Power button
3) Select install zip from SD card then select Choose zip from SD card. Now browse to CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip file and press the Power button to select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen
4) Once the installation is complete, return to the main recovery menu and select 'Reboot System now'
After the device boots up successfully, you should have a rooted Nexus 10 with CWM Recovery installed.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To contact the editor, e-mail: