Jaguar Land Rover in £1bn Joint Venture to Manufacture Vehicles in China
By Geetha Pillai | November 19, 2012 8:24 PM EST
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has entered into a 10.9b yuan (£1.1bn) joint venture with a Chinese firm to build a manufacturing facility in China, signalling the firm's aggressive expansion into its third largest market.
The tie-up is with Chery Automobile Company, China's largest vehicle exporter, for its new factory in Changshu, near Shanghai.
The venture, Chery Jaguar Land Rover Automotive Company, is the result of months-long negotiations with the Chinese government and is scheduled for completion in 2014.
The plant will include a research centre and an engine production plant, making it the Coventry-based luxury car maker's first full-blown overseas set-up.
"We are delighted to have reached this milestone thanks to the understanding and foresight of the Chinese authorities. We want to thank them for recognising the potential of our joint venture in the fast-growing Chinese market," said a joint statement.
"For the first time one of the most famous names in the British automotive industry, Jaguar Land Rover, is poised to begin manufacturing outside the United Kingdom. It seems only fitting this new venture will take place in the world's fastest-growing market for premium vehicles," said JLR Chief Executive Ralf Speth.
JLR has seen an 80 percent rise in its Chinese sales so far in 2012 on top of its 60 percent rise in revenue last year. Demand for Jaguar XJ, XF and JLR's fuel efficient Range Rover Evoque model continues to spike in the world's second largest economy and now the largest automotive market in the world.
The Indian owners of the iconic British brand, Tata Motors, hopes to repeat its bull run in profits with the opening of the new production facility. In 2011, JLR turned in a profit of £1.5b.
JLR said its production from the new facility would be supplementing the existing output and is not planning to shift its manufacturing base out of Britain where it has 24,000 employees.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28