United Veteran Considering Chinese Offer - Report
By Naveen Ullal | November 19, 2012 7:42 PM EST
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand is reportedly considering a move to China, after the end of this season. The England international is entering his final year of contract and when the transfer window opens in January, the player will be free to talk to other clubs regarding a transfer next summer.
The 34-year-old has been offered a lucrative deal by an unnamed club in China, according to the Guardian. The report claims the former Leeds United star has informed his friends that he is in no mood to retire after this summer and will take enough time to decide his future. United manager Sir Alex Ferguson recently stated Ferdinand still has two to three years of football left and the Scot's comment has pleased the defender.
"It's always good to hear the manager say things like that but you have to take every week and month as it comes. The best thing I can do is to look at it at Christmas and then again in the summer to see how I'm feeling and go from there. But hearing the manager say things like that definitely puts the spring back in your step," the Daily Mail quoted Ferdinand as saying.
"I'll have a better idea of that in December or January time when the games start coming thick and fast. That is when it really hits you and you know the hard work really has to start. I'll probably get a better gauge of where I'm at fitness wise and the benefit of having the summer off then," the United defender added.
Ferguson seems to be confident regarding Ferdiand's contract situation by claiming the issue will be sorted out by itself as time progress. The centre-back has been battling back problems for the last few seasons which has affected his performances of late. It is understood that Ferdinand is closely evaluating his future at Old Trafford so that he does not spend the twilight of his United career on the bench.
Ferdinand has been linked with a move to his former club West Ham United after the Hammers manager Sam Allardyce admitted interest in bringing the defender back to Upton Park. Meanwhile, a possible move to the MLS could still be on cards as Chicago Fire are reportedly interested in signing the Englishman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports