United Veteran Considering Chinese Offer - Report
By Naveen Ullal | November 19, 2012 7:42 PM EST
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand is reportedly considering a move to China, after the end of this season. The England international is entering his final year of contract and when the transfer window opens in January, the player will be free to talk to other clubs regarding a transfer next summer.
The 34-year-old has been offered a lucrative deal by an unnamed club in China, according to the Guardian. The report claims the former Leeds United star has informed his friends that he is in no mood to retire after this summer and will take enough time to decide his future. United manager Sir Alex Ferguson recently stated Ferdinand still has two to three years of football left and the Scot's comment has pleased the defender.
"It's always good to hear the manager say things like that but you have to take every week and month as it comes. The best thing I can do is to look at it at Christmas and then again in the summer to see how I'm feeling and go from there. But hearing the manager say things like that definitely puts the spring back in your step," the Daily Mail quoted Ferdinand as saying.
"I'll have a better idea of that in December or January time when the games start coming thick and fast. That is when it really hits you and you know the hard work really has to start. I'll probably get a better gauge of where I'm at fitness wise and the benefit of having the summer off then," the United defender added.
Ferguson seems to be confident regarding Ferdiand's contract situation by claiming the issue will be sorted out by itself as time progress. The centre-back has been battling back problems for the last few seasons which has affected his performances of late. It is understood that Ferdinand is closely evaluating his future at Old Trafford so that he does not spend the twilight of his United career on the bench.
Ferdinand has been linked with a move to his former club West Ham United after the Hammers manager Sam Allardyce admitted interest in bringing the defender back to Upton Park. Meanwhile, a possible move to the MLS could still be on cards as Chicago Fire are reportedly interested in signing the Englishman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown