HSBC In Talks to Sell Stake China Insurance Group Ping An
By Martin Baccardax | November 19, 2012 7:12 PM EST
Europe's biggest bank owns at 15.57 percent stake in Ping An and is planning to sell all of its Hong Kong listed shares in the group, according to a report first published in the Hong Kong Economic Journal. HSBC confirmed Monday it was discussing a sale of the shares but warned this did not mean a deal would be finalised. A sale could earn HSBC around $9bn, according to some estimates.
HSBC has been attempting to slim down some of its non-core operations throughout most of the past two years, but has accelerated that plan since being slammed by charges of money laundering in the United States in the summer.
Last spring it sold its general insurance business in Hong Kong, Singapore and Mexico to France's AXA for around $500m and its Argentinian unit to Australia's QBE Insurance for around $420m. Collectively, HSBC has announced around 41 asset sales since the beginning of 2011.
HSBC built the Ping An stake between 2002 and 2005, spending around $1.7bn to acquire its 15.6 percent holding. Ping An shares fell to a two-month low in Hong Kong Monday following news of the sale and confirmation of the talks by HSBC.
HSBC shares rose by around 1.4 percent in London to change hands at 604.4 pence each. The stock is up around 23 percent so far this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- With Falling Oil Prices All Eyes On OPEC Meeting
- Plane Freezes in Russian Arctic, Passengers Push (WATCH VIDEO)
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft