Cisco to Buy Cloud Computing Company Meraki For $1.2bn
By Jerin Mathew | November 19, 2012 6:31 PM EST
Networking equipment maker Cisco Systems is acquiring cloud computing company Meraki for $1.2bn (£750m) in cash, as the tech major sees a good future in the mobile-cloud sector.
The consideration includes retention-based incentives. Cisco expects to settle the deal in the second quarter of its fiscal year 2013, subject to customary closing conditions.
Targeting mid-market customers, Meraki offers Wi-Fi, switching, security and mobile device management solutions that are "easy-to-deploy" and "centrally-managed" from the cloud, Cisco said in a statement. Having 330 employees, the company is based in California with offices in New York, London and Mexico.
The privately-held company was formed in 2006 by members of MIT's Laboratory for Computer Science. It was funded by Sequoia Capital and Google.
Meraki will operate as Cisco's new Cloud Networking Division under the leadership of Meraki CEO Sanjit Biswas. The company, which had initially been planning to remain independent and go public, is targeting $1bn in revenue per year as a result of the deal with Cisco, according to a letter to employees from Biswas.
"The acquisition of Meraki enables Cisco to make simple, secure, cloud managed networks available to our global customer base of mid-sized businesses and enterprises," said Rob Soderbery, senior vice president of Cisco Enterprise Networking Group.
"Meraki's solution was built from the ground up optimised for cloud, with tremendous scale, and is already in use by thousands of customers to manage hundreds of thousands of devices," he added.
The deal is in line with the company's strategy to offer more software-centric solutions to simplify network management, especially of mid-sized companies that lack resources to integrate complex IT solutions.
The acquisition is Cisco's second in the past few days. On 16 November, Cisco said it would acquire Cloupia, which develops data centre management software, in a $125m deal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- UK Starts Ebola Vaccine Trials on Humans
- Health Virus Alert: Canadians Urged to Watch Out Against Rare Enterovirus D68; 3 Cases Confirmed in B.C., 18 in Alberta
- Economy Travel Not So Anymore with Air Canada, Starts Charging C$25 Checked Bag Fee
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design