Cisco to Buy Cloud Computing Company Meraki For $1.2bn
By Jerin Mathew | November 19, 2012 6:31 PM EST
Networking equipment maker Cisco Systems is acquiring cloud computing company Meraki for $1.2bn (£750m) in cash, as the tech major sees a good future in the mobile-cloud sector.
The consideration includes retention-based incentives. Cisco expects to settle the deal in the second quarter of its fiscal year 2013, subject to customary closing conditions.
Targeting mid-market customers, Meraki offers Wi-Fi, switching, security and mobile device management solutions that are "easy-to-deploy" and "centrally-managed" from the cloud, Cisco said in a statement. Having 330 employees, the company is based in California with offices in New York, London and Mexico.
The privately-held company was formed in 2006 by members of MIT's Laboratory for Computer Science. It was funded by Sequoia Capital and Google.
Meraki will operate as Cisco's new Cloud Networking Division under the leadership of Meraki CEO Sanjit Biswas. The company, which had initially been planning to remain independent and go public, is targeting $1bn in revenue per year as a result of the deal with Cisco, according to a letter to employees from Biswas.
"The acquisition of Meraki enables Cisco to make simple, secure, cloud managed networks available to our global customer base of mid-sized businesses and enterprises," said Rob Soderbery, senior vice president of Cisco Enterprise Networking Group.
"Meraki's solution was built from the ground up optimised for cloud, with tremendous scale, and is already in use by thousands of customers to manage hundreds of thousands of devices," he added.
The deal is in line with the company's strategy to offer more software-centric solutions to simplify network management, especially of mid-sized companies that lack resources to integrate complex IT solutions.
The acquisition is Cisco's second in the past few days. On 16 November, Cisco said it would acquire Cloupia, which develops data centre management software, in a $125m deal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Australia’s Richest People Under 30 in 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date