Massive Waterspout in Australia Captured on Video
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 19, 2012 3:59 PM EST
Australians have witnessed Mother Nature's wrath when a massive waterspout formed for about 20 minutes on Batemans Bay in New South Wales. Several footages of the waterspout, where stunning images of the dark grey whirling vortex was captured, quickly circulated on social networking sites.
Though there were no reports of damages, forecasters claim that the waterspout is just the beginning of an alarming weather conditions in the area where thunderstorms, heavy rain and winds of up to 100km/h have been recently experienced by residents. More than 24,000 lightning strikes were recorded over the weekend.
Mick Logan, a Bureau of Meteorology severe weather forecaster, stated the waterspout garnered so much attention because it was mostly well-formed and intense. "It's the most intense that I've seen off the NSW coast. There's not many photos that I would know of that have come in with something as strong as that one," Logan told the Australian Associated Press. In an AAP report, the last waterspout spotted was in February off the coast of Medowie, north of Newcastle.
According to Logan, waterspouts are usually seen in late autumn on Australia's east coast due to the warmer sea temperature and cooler air. "But in the digital age, there's more and more footage coming in of them," Logan further added.
Peter Zmijewski, senior meteorologist at Australia's Bureau of Meteorology, said waterspouts are unpredictable and they only develop in certain conditions. ''They are impossible to forecast,'' Zmijewski stated. Zmijewski also added that waterspouts do not suck up water and they can be produced due to wind shear differences in wind speed or direction over short distances.
Take a look at the video footage below of the November 2012 Monster Waterspout/Water Twister captured at Batemans Bay in Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon