Chinese Police Arrest 73 In Counterfeit Luxury-Bag Ring
By J.J. McGrath | November 19, 2012 3:36 PM EST
Acting on intelligence gathered during a joint investigation by Chinese and U.S. law-enforcement authorities, Chinese police on Sunday arrested 73 people who are suspected of being involved in the counterfeit luxury-bag trade across national borders.
The police also confiscated more than 20,000 counterfeit bags branded as Coach, Hermes, or Louis Vuitton, while shuttering 37 illegal sites where the bags were either manufactured or sold, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.
The police believe the suspects have produced and sold more than 960,000 such counterfeit bags, China's Ministry of Public Security said in a statement cited by Xinhua.
Local police in southern China's Guangdong Province found in January that one of the suspects and some others were responsible for the manufacture of many counterfeit bags and their export to foreign countries, Xinhua reported.
Subsequently, China's Ministry of Public Security shared the information with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency and proposed a joint investigation, Xinhua said.
Chinese police later discovered the suspects were running illegal sites in Anhui and Fujian provinces, as well as Guangdong. They also found many of the counterfeit goods were exported to the U.S. and the Middle East.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Pizza Hut Australia Sorry for Victoria Branch’s ‘Free Small Animal’ Campaign
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet