Chinese Police Arrest 73 In Counterfeit Luxury-Bag Ring
By J.J. McGrath | November 19, 2012 3:36 PM EST
Acting on intelligence gathered during a joint investigation by Chinese and U.S. law-enforcement authorities, Chinese police on Sunday arrested 73 people who are suspected of being involved in the counterfeit luxury-bag trade across national borders.
The police also confiscated more than 20,000 counterfeit bags branded as Coach, Hermes, or Louis Vuitton, while shuttering 37 illegal sites where the bags were either manufactured or sold, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.
The police believe the suspects have produced and sold more than 960,000 such counterfeit bags, China's Ministry of Public Security said in a statement cited by Xinhua.
Local police in southern China's Guangdong Province found in January that one of the suspects and some others were responsible for the manufacture of many counterfeit bags and their export to foreign countries, Xinhua reported.
Subsequently, China's Ministry of Public Security shared the information with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency and proposed a joint investigation, Xinhua said.
Chinese police later discovered the suspects were running illegal sites in Anhui and Fujian provinces, as well as Guangdong. They also found many of the counterfeit goods were exported to the U.S. and the Middle East.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation