Leonid Meteor Shower 2012 Continues: Sky-gazers Can Still Catch a Glimpse
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 19, 2012 2:19 PM EST
The 2012 Leonid Meteor Shower peak already arrived but sky-gazers still have a chance to catch a glimpse of the phenomenon as it continues this weekend. Ben Burress, a Chabot Space and Science Center astronomer in Oakland, declared another peak to build up from late Friday night to Saturday morning and continue until early Sunday morning.
The Leonids are not anticipated to be that amazing this year since the comet that last passed close to Earth was back in 1999. However, Burress said that witnessing an estimated 10 to 20 meteors per hour are not that terrible. "That gives you a good chance of seeing one every five or so minutes," Burress stated.
Nevertheless, this year is expected to provide a good quality viewing of the Leonid meteor shower because the moon sets at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday in each U.S. time zone. "So Sunday morning anywhere from midnight to 3 or 4 a.m. is the prime window," Burress said.
Kristina Pydynowski, a meteorologist of AccuWeather, claimed most parts of the USA east of the Rockies can witness the meteor shower on Friday night and Saturday morning with the exception of the Southeast coast if there are no weather disturbances. However, Pydynowski warned that clouds could prevent anyone from Florida to the eastern Carolinas from seeing the meteor shower. As for the night viewing on Saturday night, the clouds will most likely be clear for most of the Southeast.
Also, Pydynowski added the majority of the far West will have poor viewing of the Leonid meteor shower through the weekend because of a pair of Pacific storm systems that will convey the clouds across the West Coast towards the Rockies on Friday and Saturday night. Meanwhile, clear skies should provide a fantastic Leonid meteor shower viewing in the Northeast, Midwest, lower Mississippi Valley and most of the Plains states.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports