Tired Rory to Reduce Schedule
By Golf 365 | November 19, 2012 1:21 PM EST
Rory McIlroy admits he has "probably played too many extra tournaments" this season, but he is determined not to repeat the mistake next year.
The world number one's defence of his Hong Kong Open title came to a shuddering halt on Friday as he missed the cut by three shots after four-putting the final green. It was the only the second time this year that he failed to make it past the halfway stage of a tournament.
The 23-year-old concedes it's been draining last few weeks, but he hopes to end on a high at the season-ending event in Dubai.
"Of course, you're going to miss cuts in your career but it's not nice and it's a tough pill to swallow when you're the defending champion in a tournament," he is quoted as saying by Associated Press.
"But while there's a part of me that perhaps wished my year had ended as soon as I wrapped up the Race to Dubai, I now look back over the last couple of years wondering why did I stretch myself so much.
"I've probably played an extra couple of tournaments too much and I have learnt from the last few years so that's why I'm cutting back my schedule even further from next year.
"But all I'm thinking about now is probably heading over to Dubai. My parents are over in Dubai at the moment and it will be nice to catch up with them as I haven't seen them since the Ryder Cup."
Including the Race to Dubai, McIlroy will have participated in 24 events this year while he has also played in two exhibition tournaments.
"I'm not sure if the energy in trying to sew-up the Race to Dubai and competing in the FedEx Cup has taken more out of me than maybe I thought because while I am feeling okay physically, mentally I feel really tired," he added.
"When you achieve something that you want to achieve so bad, like the Race to Dubai, there is a letdown considering there are still two events remaining."
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia