Tired Rory to Reduce Schedule
By Golf 365 | November 19, 2012 1:21 PM EST
Rory McIlroy admits he has "probably played too many extra tournaments" this season, but he is determined not to repeat the mistake next year.
The world number one's defence of his Hong Kong Open title came to a shuddering halt on Friday as he missed the cut by three shots after four-putting the final green. It was the only the second time this year that he failed to make it past the halfway stage of a tournament.
The 23-year-old concedes it's been draining last few weeks, but he hopes to end on a high at the season-ending event in Dubai.
"Of course, you're going to miss cuts in your career but it's not nice and it's a tough pill to swallow when you're the defending champion in a tournament," he is quoted as saying by Associated Press.
"But while there's a part of me that perhaps wished my year had ended as soon as I wrapped up the Race to Dubai, I now look back over the last couple of years wondering why did I stretch myself so much.
"I've probably played an extra couple of tournaments too much and I have learnt from the last few years so that's why I'm cutting back my schedule even further from next year.
"But all I'm thinking about now is probably heading over to Dubai. My parents are over in Dubai at the moment and it will be nice to catch up with them as I haven't seen them since the Ryder Cup."
Including the Race to Dubai, McIlroy will have participated in 24 events this year while he has also played in two exhibition tournaments.
"I'm not sure if the energy in trying to sew-up the Race to Dubai and competing in the FedEx Cup has taken more out of me than maybe I thought because while I am feeling okay physically, mentally I feel really tired," he added.
"When you achieve something that you want to achieve so bad, like the Race to Dubai, there is a letdown considering there are still two events remaining."
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown