Daily Physical Activity Can Help Prevent Age-Related Brain Atrophy
By Health Canal | November 19, 2012 12:56 PM EST
ACSM Research: Physical activity and energy expenditure are significant predictors of frontal lobe atrophy progression
INDIANAPOLIS - Daily exercise is not only good for the body but also for the mind, according to research published in the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. This study, in the December edition of Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise®, shows that being physically fit can prevent brain atrophy and may ward off dementia.
"The results of this study showed that adults with lower energy expenditure were at risk for frontal lobe atrophy progression. Incorporating physical activity into your daily routine can be a helpful step to prevent conditions caused by brain atrophy, such as dementia," said the primary investigator, Atsumu Yuki, Ph.D., of the Center for Development of Advanced Medicine for Dementia in Japan.
The longitudinal study of more than 750 adults collected data regarding physical activity levels using accelerometry sensors compared to magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain over an eight-year period. The results demonstrated that physical activity level was a significant predictor of frontal lobe atrophy progression, suggesting that exercise and physical activity can help keep the brain healthy as well as the rest of the body.
This study contributes to the growing body of evidence that exercise is not only important for athletic performance and aesthetics, but also can be used in the treatment and prevention of chronic diseases and illnesses.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Declares Nigeria Ebola-Free, Urges Other Nations To Replicate Success Story
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier