Daily Physical Activity Can Help Prevent Age-Related Brain Atrophy
By Health Canal | November 19, 2012 12:56 PM EST
ACSM Research: Physical activity and energy expenditure are significant predictors of frontal lobe atrophy progression
INDIANAPOLIS - Daily exercise is not only good for the body but also for the mind, according to research published in the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. This study, in the December edition of Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise®, shows that being physically fit can prevent brain atrophy and may ward off dementia.
"The results of this study showed that adults with lower energy expenditure were at risk for frontal lobe atrophy progression. Incorporating physical activity into your daily routine can be a helpful step to prevent conditions caused by brain atrophy, such as dementia," said the primary investigator, Atsumu Yuki, Ph.D., of the Center for Development of Advanced Medicine for Dementia in Japan.
The longitudinal study of more than 750 adults collected data regarding physical activity levels using accelerometry sensors compared to magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain over an eight-year period. The results demonstrated that physical activity level was a significant predictor of frontal lobe atrophy progression, suggesting that exercise and physical activity can help keep the brain healthy as well as the rest of the body.
This study contributes to the growing body of evidence that exercise is not only important for athletic performance and aesthetics, but also can be used in the treatment and prevention of chronic diseases and illnesses.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: Modified Gene Therapy Causing Resistance And Mysterious Enzyme Could Unlock Effective Treatment
- Using Hand Dryers in Public Restrooms Could Spread Germs
- Text Neck Causes More Harm Than You Think
- Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Pregnancy Nausea Should Not Be Called 'Morning Sickness' Because It Lasts All Day
- Beating Postnatal Depression Is Just A Phone Call Away
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports