Daily Physical Activity Can Help Prevent Age-Related Brain Atrophy
By Health Canal | November 19, 2012 12:56 PM EST
ACSM Research: Physical activity and energy expenditure are significant predictors of frontal lobe atrophy progression
INDIANAPOLIS - Daily exercise is not only good for the body but also for the mind, according to research published in the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. This study, in the December edition of Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise®, shows that being physically fit can prevent brain atrophy and may ward off dementia.
"The results of this study showed that adults with lower energy expenditure were at risk for frontal lobe atrophy progression. Incorporating physical activity into your daily routine can be a helpful step to prevent conditions caused by brain atrophy, such as dementia," said the primary investigator, Atsumu Yuki, Ph.D., of the Center for Development of Advanced Medicine for Dementia in Japan.
The longitudinal study of more than 750 adults collected data regarding physical activity levels using accelerometry sensors compared to magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain over an eight-year period. The results demonstrated that physical activity level was a significant predictor of frontal lobe atrophy progression, suggesting that exercise and physical activity can help keep the brain healthy as well as the rest of the body.
This study contributes to the growing body of evidence that exercise is not only important for athletic performance and aesthetics, but also can be used in the treatment and prevention of chronic diseases and illnesses.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 12 Days to Mayweather-Maidana Rematch; Money May’s Bikram Yoga Routine Includes Placing $100 Bills Around Mat
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- Overdose Of Prescription Drug Oxycodone Even Deadlier Than Heroin
- The Secret Behind HIV Infection Found: Reasons Why It Could Not Be Eradicated
- 5 Celebrity Couples Who Stood The Test Of Hollywood
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans