Lakers Trade News: Josh Smith for Paul Gasol in the Works?
November 19, 2012 7:44 AM EST
After a poor 1-4 start, the Los Angles Lakers showed they were not afraid to make radical changes. With Mike Brown gone and Mike D’Antoni in after less than a week, the Lakers are looking to make another big switch.
According to Sports Illustrated, the Lakers have shown serious interest in Atlanta Hawk Josh Smith in exchange for Pau Gasol. The Hawks may have to include Kyle Korver or another player for contracts to match, but Los Angeles may have revived a rumored deal from last year.
Lauded as an “offensive genius” by many players, including superstar Kobe Bryant, D’Antoni’s uptempo system requires speed, 3-point shooting, and athleticism, all things a younger Gasol could’ve provided.
The Spaniard and former All-Star appears to be on the decline, and D’Antoni may want some fresh, young blood on his team to pair with center Dwight Howard.
It should be noted, however, Gasol has thrived in heavy pick-and-roll offenses before, which is one of the main components of D’Antoni’s system. And Gasol has barely played with point guard Steve Nash, who is still out with a leg injury.
Gasol also has the support of the most important Laker in Bryant, who backed Gasol up last season by calling out management for all of the trade rumors.
Los Angeles will also consider the close friendship Smith has with Howard. The young center will be an unrestricted free agent next summer, and the Lakers will certainly try to show Howard they see him as the future of the franchise, even with Bryant still playing.
The 26-year-old Smith is also an unrestricted free agent in 2013, and has reportedly asked to be traded before, but Hawks have never complied. Atlanta is in the midst of a rebuild, after clearing most of their heavy contracts when they sent Joe Johnson to the Brooklyn Nets, and may not want to take on Gasol's contract.
Drafted out of high school and now an eight-year veteran, Smith is averaging 15.6 points and 8.3 rebounds on 41 percent shooting this season. That comes on the heels of a career year last season, when Smith scored 18.8 points and snagged 9.6rebounds, playing all 66 games. Smith could duplicate those numbers in D’Antono’s free wheeling offense.
Gasol, now 32-years-old and owed more than $38 million in the next two years, is hitting below his career scoring average, with just 14 points a game on 42 percent shooting this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015