Arsenal Edge Ahead Of Liverpool In Midfield Chase - Report
By Vanessa Keller | November 19, 2012 6:31 AM EST
Arsenal have made Lewis Holtby their number one transfer target, according to reports in the Daily Star, with Liverpool looking more unlikely to land the star as he shines for Schalke in the Champions League and Bundesliga.
Holtby has shown great potential in Germany after spending two spells away from Schalke, and since his return he has been touted to produce big things for both club and country.
Liverpool have long been connected to the 22 year old, and with Joe Cole looking likely to exit the club, building on the midfield as well as in the striking department could likely be an option for Brendan Rodgers.
Arsenal, meanwhile, have suffered their worst start to a league season under Arsene Wenger's reign, and though the Frenchman doesn't often enter the market in January he could well need to bolster the squad as they push to end their trophyless run.
Holtby would no doubt fit into the Arsenal squad quickly, with Germany teammates Lukas Podolski and Per Mertesacker on hand to help him settle in to life at the Emirates.
The star admitted he would like to play for Arsenal in the future, and is believed to be refusing a move to Liverpool partly because his father supports Everton.
"It was a dream to play in the Premier League and it was a team like Arsenal I would like to play for," he said, putting the Gunners in prime position to land the midfielder over Liverpool.
Holtby was particularly impressive for Schalke as they defeated and drew with Arsenal in the Champions League group stages, bringing Wenger's attention to his skills and making it all the more difficult for him to turn his back on his father's allegiances to join Liverpool.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best