Arsenal Edge Ahead Of Liverpool In Midfield Chase - Report
By Vanessa Keller | November 19, 2012 6:31 AM EST
Arsenal have made Lewis Holtby their number one transfer target, according to reports in the Daily Star, with Liverpool looking more unlikely to land the star as he shines for Schalke in the Champions League and Bundesliga.
Holtby has shown great potential in Germany after spending two spells away from Schalke, and since his return he has been touted to produce big things for both club and country.
Liverpool have long been connected to the 22 year old, and with Joe Cole looking likely to exit the club, building on the midfield as well as in the striking department could likely be an option for Brendan Rodgers.
Arsenal, meanwhile, have suffered their worst start to a league season under Arsene Wenger's reign, and though the Frenchman doesn't often enter the market in January he could well need to bolster the squad as they push to end their trophyless run.
Holtby would no doubt fit into the Arsenal squad quickly, with Germany teammates Lukas Podolski and Per Mertesacker on hand to help him settle in to life at the Emirates.
The star admitted he would like to play for Arsenal in the future, and is believed to be refusing a move to Liverpool partly because his father supports Everton.
"It was a dream to play in the Premier League and it was a team like Arsenal I would like to play for," he said, putting the Gunners in prime position to land the midfielder over Liverpool.
Holtby was particularly impressive for Schalke as they defeated and drew with Arsenal in the Champions League group stages, bringing Wenger's attention to his skills and making it all the more difficult for him to turn his back on his father's allegiances to join Liverpool.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage