Arsenal Edge Ahead Of Liverpool In Midfield Chase - Report
By Vanessa Keller | November 19, 2012 6:31 AM EST
Arsenal have made Lewis Holtby their number one transfer target, according to reports in the Daily Star, with Liverpool looking more unlikely to land the star as he shines for Schalke in the Champions League and Bundesliga.
Holtby has shown great potential in Germany after spending two spells away from Schalke, and since his return he has been touted to produce big things for both club and country.
Liverpool have long been connected to the 22 year old, and with Joe Cole looking likely to exit the club, building on the midfield as well as in the striking department could likely be an option for Brendan Rodgers.
Arsenal, meanwhile, have suffered their worst start to a league season under Arsene Wenger's reign, and though the Frenchman doesn't often enter the market in January he could well need to bolster the squad as they push to end their trophyless run.
Holtby would no doubt fit into the Arsenal squad quickly, with Germany teammates Lukas Podolski and Per Mertesacker on hand to help him settle in to life at the Emirates.
The star admitted he would like to play for Arsenal in the future, and is believed to be refusing a move to Liverpool partly because his father supports Everton.
"It was a dream to play in the Premier League and it was a team like Arsenal I would like to play for," he said, putting the Gunners in prime position to land the midfielder over Liverpool.
Holtby was particularly impressive for Schalke as they defeated and drew with Arsenal in the Champions League group stages, bringing Wenger's attention to his skills and making it all the more difficult for him to turn his back on his father's allegiances to join Liverpool.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery