NASA Camera Captures Amazing Solar Eruption [VIDEO]
By Eric Brown | November 19, 2012 6:06 AM EST
A NASA camera has captured an amazing view of a solar prominence, a breathtaking astronomical event that sees the sun eject huge amounts of superheated plasma.
The video depicts a massive loop of plasma ejecting from the sun’s surface and across the face of the star. The arc of plasma was so large that NASA’s space camera could not take it all in.
According to Space.com, the solar storm happened late on Friday night, and another solar prominence sparked up just over four hours later. Footage of the solar prominence was captured by NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory.
In a solar prominence, the sun is ejecting massive amounts of plasma and radiation into deep space. The ejected plasma often takes the shape of a beautiful loop across the sun’s surface and can be extremely breathtaking to watch.
"The red-glowing looped material is plasma, a hot gas made of electrically charged hydrogen and helium," read a statement NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, which operates the SDO. "The prominence plasma flows along a tangled and twisted structure of magnetic fields generated by the sun’s internal dynamo. An erupting prominence occurs when such a structure becomes unstable and bursts outward, releasing the plasma."
The massive solar prominence was not aimed at Earth, according to NASA, and will have no effects on our planet. However, solar ejections like this one can occasionally be disruptive if aimed toward the planet.
The radiation emitted by a solar ejection, usually X-rays and UV radiation, can sometimes reach Earth and disrupt radio communications traveling through the upper atmosphere. The radiation can sometimes affect electronic operations of satellites in orbit as well.
Last week, ejections from a solar flare reached Earth and ignited a geomagnetic storm in the atmosphere. The radiation created a strong northern lights display and briefly interfered with long-range communications.
Watch the stunning video of the solar prominence below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Why NASA Says That Life Beyond The Earth May Exist In Jupiter's Moon, Europa
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Japan’s Robotic Industry Is On A Rebound
- Sports Drinks Myths: The Truth About Sports Drinks
- Nuclear Attack From Aliens Eradicated Life On Mars, Physicist Claims
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James