NASA Camera Captures Amazing Solar Eruption [VIDEO]
By Eric Brown | November 19, 2012 6:06 AM EST
A NASA camera has captured an amazing view of a solar prominence, a breathtaking astronomical event that sees the sun eject huge amounts of superheated plasma.
The video depicts a massive loop of plasma ejecting from the sun’s surface and across the face of the star. The arc of plasma was so large that NASA’s space camera could not take it all in.
According to Space.com, the solar storm happened late on Friday night, and another solar prominence sparked up just over four hours later. Footage of the solar prominence was captured by NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory.
In a solar prominence, the sun is ejecting massive amounts of plasma and radiation into deep space. The ejected plasma often takes the shape of a beautiful loop across the sun’s surface and can be extremely breathtaking to watch.
"The red-glowing looped material is plasma, a hot gas made of electrically charged hydrogen and helium," read a statement NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, which operates the SDO. "The prominence plasma flows along a tangled and twisted structure of magnetic fields generated by the sun’s internal dynamo. An erupting prominence occurs when such a structure becomes unstable and bursts outward, releasing the plasma."
The massive solar prominence was not aimed at Earth, according to NASA, and will have no effects on our planet. However, solar ejections like this one can occasionally be disruptive if aimed toward the planet.
The radiation emitted by a solar ejection, usually X-rays and UV radiation, can sometimes reach Earth and disrupt radio communications traveling through the upper atmosphere. The radiation can sometimes affect electronic operations of satellites in orbit as well.
Last week, ejections from a solar flare reached Earth and ignited a geomagnetic storm in the atmosphere. The radiation created a strong northern lights display and briefly interfered with long-range communications.
Watch the stunning video of the solar prominence below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Study Shows Oceans are Vital For Alien Life
- Experts Recommend a New Discipline Combining Neuroscience and Psychology
- Sunspots Take Off: 'Big Quiet'
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People