Liverpool Find Cheap Striker Solution In Former Nemesis - Report
By Vanessa Keller | November 19, 2012 4:54 AM EST
Liverpool may make a play for Villarreal striker Guiseppe Rossi in January, according to reports, with the currently injured star believed to be considering moving clubs in the hope of building up more game time.
Rossi played for Manchester United between 2005-2007 but left the club after never really finding his feet under Sir Alex Ferguson, and has since starred in Spain and received regular mentions for the Italian national side.
As a result, Metro is reporting that Liverpool are hoping to bring Rossi on board to fill a void in the striking department that has seen the side struggle to take maximum points in their fixtures, with the majority of the pressure falling on Luis Suarez's shoulders to deliver in front of the net.
After allowing Andy Carroll to go out on loan on deadline day, Rodgers insists he only did so because he believed that the side would immediately being in another striker before the clock struck 11pm.
But no such deal came through, and after Clint Dempsey made the shock decision to go to Tottenham over Liverpool in the dying minutes of deadline day, it was clear that the Reds would be thin on their striking line up until January at least.
Rodgers has since insisted that despite the winter transfer market being typically overpriced, the club know that a striker is necessary to take Liverpool to challenge for a top four spot.
"We're looking to do business in the striking department in January," Rodgers told TalkSport.
"The reality is that there was always going to be a bit of movement this season with the club trying to regain some of their money. This season was always going to be difficult.
"We'll look to do something in the January transfer window, though. There's not going to be wholesale changes in terms of players coming in, that's the reality of where the club is at.
"We're looking to grow over the next six months, we'll get some reinforcements in January and that will support the group who have been magnificent for me so far.
"Hopefully in the summer we can build again."
The gamble for Liverpool lies in the fact that Rossi currently has a knee ligament injury, for the second time in his professional career, and medical staff currently predict he will be out of action until at least March.
But this puts Rodgers in a good bargaining position over a fee, and should Rossi request a move to Merseyside once he recovers from his injury he could be a big help and keep the side within a good enough budget to purchase further in both January and next summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date