SAS says crucial talks on future near deadline
November 18, 2012 10:49 PM EST
Talks between SAS
The Scandinavian airline, hit by competition from lower-price rivals, last week announced plans to cut some salaries by up to 17 percent and reduce headcount to about 9,000 from 15,000.
It began talks on Thursday to persuade unions to accept pay cuts and new employment conditions which SAS says are necessary to secure fresh funding.
Analysts doubt the measures will secure the independence of the airline which they say has a structure designed more to secure jobs and Nordic solidarity than generate profit and which has hamstrung its ability to compete with discount carriers like Ryanair
SAS, half-owned by Denmark, Sweden and Norway, said negotiations continued ahead of a SAS board meeting planned for later on Sunday but no agreement had been reached with any union.
"There needs to be a solution before the board meets later today, Sunday. At the meeting the board will decide whether the conditions exist to carry out the plan," SAS said.
"Until the board meeting there is intensive work to reach a deal about new collective agreements," it said.
SAS spokeswoman Elisabeth Manzini said the board would decide the next steps if the deadline was not met.
She declined to say how long SAS's cash would last or at what time the board was scheduled to meet.
SAS expects cost cuts to improve earnings by 3 billion crowns while asset sales would strengthen the company's balance sheet by 3 billion crowns.
A new credit facility worth around 3.5 billion crowns is being provided by seven banks and the governments of Denmark, Sweden and Norway, but is conditional on unions agreeing to the wage cuts.
(Reporting by Anna Ringstrom; Editing by David Cowell)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015