PSG Show Interest in City Star, as Ancelotti Admits Crisis in France
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 18, 2012 9:35 PM EST
French club Paris St Germain (PSG) are reportedly interested in signing Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli. The 22-year-old Italian international has dropped down the pecking order at the Etihad in recent games and reports indicate the Premier League champions are looking to offload the former Inter Milan man in January, to fund a move for Atletico Madrid forward Radamel Falcao. Other reports suggest Balotelli's former club, Inter, are interested in bringing the player back to the Giuseppe Meazza.
The Italian himself has reportedly admitted a desire to return to Italy and his absence from the City squad for the 5-0 home win against Aston Villa, for a lack of commitment in training sessions, will only fuel transfer speculation.
"I think Mario needs to work harder. If any player doesn't work hard it is difficult that he can play at this level. What you do in training you do in the game, and every player needs to work hard to improve his performance in the training sessions. After that he can play well in the game," City coach Roberto Mancini explained.
Mancini, for all his disagreements with Balotelli, is an admirer and supporter of the youngster but the former Lazio manager has been told that if he wants to sign new players, particularly strikers, one of his four strikers (Carlos Tevez, Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko and Balotelli) must be released. On present form, there is absolutely no chance either Tevez or Aguero will leave and although summer reports linked Dzeko with a transfer, the Bosnian has since worked his way back into first-team plans at City. This leaves only Balotelli.
PSG were interested in the striker earlier in the season as well; City turned down a £40m bid. However, marquee striker signings like Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ezequiel Lavezzi cooled that interest... until now. The club, managed by former Chelsea and AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti are on top of the French league, with 23 points from 13 games, but have lost twice in the last two league games and the Champions League-winning manager admitted he was concerned by recent results. However, he stopped short of explicitly mentioning Balotelli.
There is also interest, it is understood, from Ancelotti's former side, Milan, with reports suggesting either a loan offer or a straight swap with young forward Stephan El Shaarawy. Balotelli is a confessed admirer of the Rossoneri and the fact he recently bought a £750,000 apartment in Brescia (only hours away from Milan) for his pregnant girlfriend, Raffaella Fico, could persuade the youngster to choose Italy over France, if offered the choice.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6