PSG Show Interest in City Star, as Ancelotti Admits Crisis in France
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 18, 2012 9:35 PM EST
French club Paris St Germain (PSG) are reportedly interested in signing Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli. The 22-year-old Italian international has dropped down the pecking order at the Etihad in recent games and reports indicate the Premier League champions are looking to offload the former Inter Milan man in January, to fund a move for Atletico Madrid forward Radamel Falcao. Other reports suggest Balotelli's former club, Inter, are interested in bringing the player back to the Giuseppe Meazza.
The Italian himself has reportedly admitted a desire to return to Italy and his absence from the City squad for the 5-0 home win against Aston Villa, for a lack of commitment in training sessions, will only fuel transfer speculation.
"I think Mario needs to work harder. If any player doesn't work hard it is difficult that he can play at this level. What you do in training you do in the game, and every player needs to work hard to improve his performance in the training sessions. After that he can play well in the game," City coach Roberto Mancini explained.
Mancini, for all his disagreements with Balotelli, is an admirer and supporter of the youngster but the former Lazio manager has been told that if he wants to sign new players, particularly strikers, one of his four strikers (Carlos Tevez, Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko and Balotelli) must be released. On present form, there is absolutely no chance either Tevez or Aguero will leave and although summer reports linked Dzeko with a transfer, the Bosnian has since worked his way back into first-team plans at City. This leaves only Balotelli.
PSG were interested in the striker earlier in the season as well; City turned down a £40m bid. However, marquee striker signings like Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ezequiel Lavezzi cooled that interest... until now. The club, managed by former Chelsea and AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti are on top of the French league, with 23 points from 13 games, but have lost twice in the last two league games and the Champions League-winning manager admitted he was concerned by recent results. However, he stopped short of explicitly mentioning Balotelli.
There is also interest, it is understood, from Ancelotti's former side, Milan, with reports suggesting either a loan offer or a straight swap with young forward Stephan El Shaarawy. Balotelli is a confessed admirer of the Rossoneri and the fact he recently bought a £750,000 apartment in Brescia (only hours away from Milan) for his pregnant girlfriend, Raffaella Fico, could persuade the youngster to choose Italy over France, if offered the choice.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch