West Ham Transfer News: Allardyce Confirms Interest in French Striker
By Vishnuprasad S | November 18, 2012 7:53 PM EST
West Ham United boss Sam Allardyce has revealed the Hammers are interested in signing Nicolas Anelka during the January transfer window.
The former Chelsea striker, who worked with Allardyce at Bolton Wanderers, moved to Shanghai Shenhua around a year ago and is now the player-manager of the Chinese club. However, the 33-year-old has reportedly failed to settle in Asia and now wants to return to England.
"It could interest me, of course it could. It would be of interest if that is a possibility financially for us and he wanted to come. I have had no conversations with Nicolas' agent or anything like that at this time," the Daily Mail quoted Allardyce as saying.
"His professionalism and dedication was why he was such a good player and we never had problems at Bolton at the time he was with us. He was the difference - he was the reason we went into the top end, the top four, rather than the top eight," the manager pointed out.
Allardyce has been monitoring the Frenchman's situation for some time and could now move swiftly to lure him to Upton Park. Anelka has played for Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City, Bolton and Chelsea in the Premier League and also had stints at Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Fenerbahce before his move to Shanghai.
Juventus Refuse to Rule Out Drogba Move
Juventus general director Beppe Marotta has refused to rule out the Italians making an approach for Anelka's Shanghai team-mate Didier Drogba.
The Ivory Coast international is set to train with his former side Chelsea, following the end of the Chinese season, so that he can retain his fitness for January's Africa Cup of Nations. However, Marotta has stated that the Serie A champions are now considering an offer for the 34-year-old.
"Drogba? I exclude nothing. We have built a really competitive group for all the defined targets. It also depends a lot on the market availability, not just the economic situation," Sky Sports quoted the Juventus chief.
Meanwhile, Drogba's agent Tcherno Seydi has said that he will request FIFA to allow the player to join a club on loan now, even before the transfer window opens.
"It would be an exceptional measure, but considering what he has brought to African football we can ask for it. Considering what he represents and he has achieved, FIFA could study that case," Seydi stressed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown