West Ham Transfer News: Allardyce Confirms Interest in French Striker
By Vishnuprasad S | November 18, 2012 7:53 PM EST
West Ham United boss Sam Allardyce has revealed the Hammers are interested in signing Nicolas Anelka during the January transfer window.
The former Chelsea striker, who worked with Allardyce at Bolton Wanderers, moved to Shanghai Shenhua around a year ago and is now the player-manager of the Chinese club. However, the 33-year-old has reportedly failed to settle in Asia and now wants to return to England.
"It could interest me, of course it could. It would be of interest if that is a possibility financially for us and he wanted to come. I have had no conversations with Nicolas' agent or anything like that at this time," the Daily Mail quoted Allardyce as saying.
"His professionalism and dedication was why he was such a good player and we never had problems at Bolton at the time he was with us. He was the difference - he was the reason we went into the top end, the top four, rather than the top eight," the manager pointed out.
Allardyce has been monitoring the Frenchman's situation for some time and could now move swiftly to lure him to Upton Park. Anelka has played for Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City, Bolton and Chelsea in the Premier League and also had stints at Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Fenerbahce before his move to Shanghai.
Juventus Refuse to Rule Out Drogba Move
Juventus general director Beppe Marotta has refused to rule out the Italians making an approach for Anelka's Shanghai team-mate Didier Drogba.
The Ivory Coast international is set to train with his former side Chelsea, following the end of the Chinese season, so that he can retain his fitness for January's Africa Cup of Nations. However, Marotta has stated that the Serie A champions are now considering an offer for the 34-year-old.
"Drogba? I exclude nothing. We have built a really competitive group for all the defined targets. It also depends a lot on the market availability, not just the economic situation," Sky Sports quoted the Juventus chief.
Meanwhile, Drogba's agent Tcherno Seydi has said that he will request FIFA to allow the player to join a club on loan now, even before the transfer window opens.
"It would be an exceptional measure, but considering what he has brought to African football we can ask for it. Considering what he represents and he has achieved, FIFA could study that case," Seydi stressed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO