BP Targets £3.7bn Share Buyback
By Jerin Mathew | November 18, 2012 7:23 PM EST
British Petroleum is planning to spend up to £3.7bn on buying back shares. The oil giant is attempting to revive its share price, which has taken a hit since the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill, The Sunday Times has reported.
The company, which is trying hard to rebuild its image following the Gulf of Mexico disaster, could start the buyback programme early next year, according to the report.
Earlier, it agreed to pay £2.8bn to settle criminal and civil charges over the April 2010 rig explosion that killed 11 workers and spilled more than 200 million gallons of oil into the Gulf. The settlement amount now totals £26.5bn.
The latest settlement will save BP from US federal criminal charges, but the company will have to spend more to settle civil actions.
In October, the company agreed to sell its stake in the oil production venture TNK-BP to Russia's Rosneft. The deal, estimated to be worth between $25bn and $28bn, will give BP a stake of between 16 percent and 20 percent in Rosneft in exchange for its 50 percent stake in TNK-BP.
It is expected to gain $12.3bn in cash from the sale, making it cash-rich for the share repurchase.
As of 15 November, BP holds about 1.82 billion ordinary shares in treasury, while the number of outstanding shares totals 19.06 billion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon