NASA Captures on Camera Monster Sun Eruptions [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 18, 2012 6:41 PM EST
NASA spacecraft captured two prominent eruptions of super-hot plasma that was continuously emitted by the sun over a four-hour period on Friday.
The giant sun eruption, which occurred at 1 am EST (0600 GMT) and was followed by a second one, was captured in the 304 Angstrom wavelength of extreme ultraviolet lights by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory.
The eruption, known as solar prominence, was so large that it expanded beyond the camera view of Solar Dynamics Observatory, Space.com reported.
The 58-second video showed a giant loop of glowing red plasma, a hot gas made of electrically charged hydrogen and helium, erupting from the lower left of the sun and blasting away from it.
"The red-glowing looped material is plasma, a hot gas made of electrically charged hydrogen and helium. The prominence plasma flows along a tangled and twisted structure of magnetic fields generated by the sun's internal dynamo. An erupting prominence occurs when such a structure becomes unstable and bursts outward, releasing the plasma," officials with NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center explained.
"It seems possible that the disruption to the Sun's magnetic field might have triggered the second event since they were in relatively close proximity to each other," said the space agency.
The solar eruption heading into space does not appear to be Earth-directed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga