NASA Captures on Camera Monster Sun Eruptions [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 18, 2012 6:41 PM EST
NASA spacecraft captured two prominent eruptions of super-hot plasma that was continuously emitted by the sun over a four-hour period on Friday.
The giant sun eruption, which occurred at 1 am EST (0600 GMT) and was followed by a second one, was captured in the 304 Angstrom wavelength of extreme ultraviolet lights by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory.
The eruption, known as solar prominence, was so large that it expanded beyond the camera view of Solar Dynamics Observatory, Space.com reported.
The 58-second video showed a giant loop of glowing red plasma, a hot gas made of electrically charged hydrogen and helium, erupting from the lower left of the sun and blasting away from it.
"The red-glowing looped material is plasma, a hot gas made of electrically charged hydrogen and helium. The prominence plasma flows along a tangled and twisted structure of magnetic fields generated by the sun's internal dynamo. An erupting prominence occurs when such a structure becomes unstable and bursts outward, releasing the plasma," officials with NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center explained.
"It seems possible that the disruption to the Sun's magnetic field might have triggered the second event since they were in relatively close proximity to each other," said the space agency.
The solar eruption heading into space does not appear to be Earth-directed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight