NASA Captures on Camera Monster Sun Eruptions [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 18, 2012 6:41 PM EST
NASA spacecraft captured two prominent eruptions of super-hot plasma that was continuously emitted by the sun over a four-hour period on Friday.
The giant sun eruption, which occurred at 1 am EST (0600 GMT) and was followed by a second one, was captured in the 304 Angstrom wavelength of extreme ultraviolet lights by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory.
The eruption, known as solar prominence, was so large that it expanded beyond the camera view of Solar Dynamics Observatory, Space.com reported.
The 58-second video showed a giant loop of glowing red plasma, a hot gas made of electrically charged hydrogen and helium, erupting from the lower left of the sun and blasting away from it.
"The red-glowing looped material is plasma, a hot gas made of electrically charged hydrogen and helium. The prominence plasma flows along a tangled and twisted structure of magnetic fields generated by the sun's internal dynamo. An erupting prominence occurs when such a structure becomes unstable and bursts outward, releasing the plasma," officials with NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center explained.
"It seems possible that the disruption to the Sun's magnetic field might have triggered the second event since they were in relatively close proximity to each other," said the space agency.
The solar eruption heading into space does not appear to be Earth-directed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes