NASA Captures on Camera Monster Sun Eruptions [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 18, 2012 6:41 PM EST
NASA spacecraft captured two prominent eruptions of super-hot plasma that was continuously emitted by the sun over a four-hour period on Friday.
The giant sun eruption, which occurred at 1 am EST (0600 GMT) and was followed by a second one, was captured in the 304 Angstrom wavelength of extreme ultraviolet lights by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory.
The eruption, known as solar prominence, was so large that it expanded beyond the camera view of Solar Dynamics Observatory, Space.com reported.
The 58-second video showed a giant loop of glowing red plasma, a hot gas made of electrically charged hydrogen and helium, erupting from the lower left of the sun and blasting away from it.
"The red-glowing looped material is plasma, a hot gas made of electrically charged hydrogen and helium. The prominence plasma flows along a tangled and twisted structure of magnetic fields generated by the sun's internal dynamo. An erupting prominence occurs when such a structure becomes unstable and bursts outward, releasing the plasma," officials with NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center explained.
"It seems possible that the disruption to the Sun's magnetic field might have triggered the second event since they were in relatively close proximity to each other," said the space agency.
The solar eruption heading into space does not appear to be Earth-directed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Baby Gammy Will Be Australian Citizen Soon
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance