Kim Kardashian Receives Death Threats After Tweeting for Peace in Gaza
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 17, 2012 11:29 PM EST
American socialite and reality television star Kim Kardashian is a regular feature on Twitter and other social networking websites, providing updates on her fashion, relationships and now... her views on politics and international affairs. One of her more recent tweets (now deleted) was a message of support for people in Israel. That was swiftly followed by a message of support for Palestinians (and "across the world") as the 32-year-old received a stream of criticism for her comments on the ongoing Gaza conflict.
The first tweet: "Praying for everyone in Israel".
- "Kim I love you but please don't pray for Israel. They are murderers"
- "You are a disgrace to your people and your ancestors [referencing her Armenian heritage]"
- "People like you are the reason I want to die Palestine"
Others tweets ranged from "Kill yourself" and "Die in Hell" to "I will pray you will die kim".
Kardashian's second tweet, an attempt at diplomacy, fared no better: "And praying for everyone in Palestine and across the world!"
The reality television star subsequently deleted both tweets and released this statement:
"I want to own up to and explain that earlier today I sent out two tweets about saying prayers for the people in Palestine and Israel and after hearing from my followers, I decided to take down the tweets because I realized that some people were offended and hurt by what I said, and for that I apologize," she said, "I should have pointed out my intentions behind these tweets when I posted them. The fact is that regardless of religion and political beliefs, there are countless innocent people involved who didn't choose this, and I pray for all of them and also for a resolution. I also pray for all the other people around the world who are caught in similar crossfires."
Unfortunately for Kardashian, she found herself in a no-win situation and was criticised also for taking down the earlier tweets, with some followers commenting she should have stood her ground.
A post on Hollywood/2012/11/16/kardashian-israel-tweet-hate" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Breitbart.com read: "Kardashian learned an ugly truth this week about the Left's hatred of Israel."
And a second post, on AtlasShrugged2000.com, read: "Not surprising - her cowardice mimics the weakness and ignorance of much of her generation. She supported the civilized man, then caved to savages."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]