Chelsea Transfer News: South American Striker Flattered By Interest
By Vanessa Keller | November 17, 2012 11:13 PM EST
Colombian striker Jackson Martinez admits he's flattered by interest from Chelsea, with the star commanding the London side's attention after scoring 10 times in 13 appearances for Porto this season.
Martinez made the move to Porto from Mexican side Jaguares in the summer, and has since shown enough talent to spark interest from both the Blues and Barcelona.
Chelsea look to be in the market for a striker as Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge continue to misfire.
While the attacking midfielders for the Blues are currently starring, and have taken the side close to the top of the table, Torres has been inconsistent and is running out of excuses for his £50 million price tag.
Roberto Di Matteo admitted yesterday that he admired striker Radamel Falcao's skills, telling reporters: "If you ask any manager, he would have him in his team.
"He is one of the best strikers, probably, in European and world football. His ratio of goals per game is quite impressive, not just this season but over the last three seasons, at Porto and Atletico Madrid."
Martinez is also believed to be on Chelsea's wishlist for January, and the 26-year-old said he was flattered to be mentioned in the same breath as both Di Matteo's side, as well as Barcelona.
"Chelsea and Barcelona? Sincerely I have not spoken with anybody but this is a good signal about my performances in the Portuguese Liga." He told O Jogo.
"Now I am focused exclusively on my work for Porto. I prefer to ignore the rumours."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet