Chelsea Transfer News: South American Striker Flattered By Interest
By Vanessa Keller | November 17, 2012 11:13 PM EST
Colombian striker Jackson Martinez admits he's flattered by interest from Chelsea, with the star commanding the London side's attention after scoring 10 times in 13 appearances for Porto this season.
Martinez made the move to Porto from Mexican side Jaguares in the summer, and has since shown enough talent to spark interest from both the Blues and Barcelona.
Chelsea look to be in the market for a striker as Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge continue to misfire.
While the attacking midfielders for the Blues are currently starring, and have taken the side close to the top of the table, Torres has been inconsistent and is running out of excuses for his £50 million price tag.
Roberto Di Matteo admitted yesterday that he admired striker Radamel Falcao's skills, telling reporters: "If you ask any manager, he would have him in his team.
"He is one of the best strikers, probably, in European and world football. His ratio of goals per game is quite impressive, not just this season but over the last three seasons, at Porto and Atletico Madrid."
Martinez is also believed to be on Chelsea's wishlist for January, and the 26-year-old said he was flattered to be mentioned in the same breath as both Di Matteo's side, as well as Barcelona.
"Chelsea and Barcelona? Sincerely I have not spoken with anybody but this is a good signal about my performances in the Portuguese Liga." He told O Jogo.
"Now I am focused exclusively on my work for Porto. I prefer to ignore the rumours."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage