Chelsea Transfer News: South American Striker Flattered By Interest
By Vanessa Keller | November 17, 2012 11:13 PM EST
Colombian striker Jackson Martinez admits he's flattered by interest from Chelsea, with the star commanding the London side's attention after scoring 10 times in 13 appearances for Porto this season.
Martinez made the move to Porto from Mexican side Jaguares in the summer, and has since shown enough talent to spark interest from both the Blues and Barcelona.
Chelsea look to be in the market for a striker as Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge continue to misfire.
While the attacking midfielders for the Blues are currently starring, and have taken the side close to the top of the table, Torres has been inconsistent and is running out of excuses for his £50 million price tag.
Roberto Di Matteo admitted yesterday that he admired striker Radamel Falcao's skills, telling reporters: "If you ask any manager, he would have him in his team.
"He is one of the best strikers, probably, in European and world football. His ratio of goals per game is quite impressive, not just this season but over the last three seasons, at Porto and Atletico Madrid."
Martinez is also believed to be on Chelsea's wishlist for January, and the 26-year-old said he was flattered to be mentioned in the same breath as both Di Matteo's side, as well as Barcelona.
"Chelsea and Barcelona? Sincerely I have not spoken with anybody but this is a good signal about my performances in the Portuguese Liga." He told O Jogo.
"Now I am focused exclusively on my work for Porto. I prefer to ignore the rumours."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales