Liverpool’s Summer Signing Compared With Barcelona Legend
By Vanessa Keller | November 17, 2012 10:46 PM EST
Roberto Martinez claims that when he first saw Liverpool starlet Joe Allen play, he reminded him of Pep Guardiola, with the midfielder continuing to find his feet for the Reds under Brendan Rodgers.
Allen was the side's big purchase of the summer, with Rodgers convinced that he would make a positive contribution to their passing style of play as they undergo a transformation in style under the new manager.
The 22-year-old seemed to struggle against Chelsea last weekend, leading some critics to say he might not be worth the money Liverpool paid for him, though Martinez believes he has what it takes to become one of the best in the game.
"I know Joe really well because I gave him his debut," Martinez told the Liverpool website as Wigan travel to face the Reds. "Joe was at Swansea from nine years old and because of his build he always reminded me of Pep Guardiola and that sort of player.
"His debut was the last game of 2006-07 and I really tested his character, because we needed to win by many goals to get in the play-offs but at 17 you could see he was a special character.
"He dictated the play, wanted the ball, and the season after he played a part in the campaign when we won League One and then in the Championship he played 23 games.
"His development was progressive and he became a very different British player.
"He was very talented that he could control the game, read the tempo, knew when to play backwards and sideways instead of forward. He was a quiet, distinctive young player coming through."
Allen cost Liverpool £15 million in the summer, and meant that the club were hard pressed to find the money to pay for a striker to replace Andy Carroll.
While the move was risky, Rodgers still believes that it will pay off, though his plans for Liverpool may take longer than this season to bring success.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff