47 Kids Killed As Train Collides With School Bus In Egypt
By Sreeja V N | November 17, 2012 8:46 PM EST
At least 47 school children were killed and 13 others injured when a train collided with a school bus carrying children to their school in southern Egypt Saturday, the official news agency said.
Local media reports said that the train hit the school bus at a rail road crossing in the city of Manfalut, near Assiut, south of Cairo.
"There are several deaths and injuries among the pupils. They are being counted and taken to hospitals," Mamdouh al-Weshahi, a senior Health Ministry official, was quoted as saying by DPA.
According to the official who spoke on condition of anonymity, it appears that the railroad crossing was open as the train sped towards it.
Most of the children killed were kindergartners students in the age group of 3-7 and the distraught parents and relatives were searching for the remains of the kids along the tracks, local media reported.
A local governor has ordered a probe into the accident, and President Mohamed Morsi has directed the officials to “offer all the assistance to the families of the victims," according to the official MENA agency.
Transport Minister Rashad al-Metini and the head of the Egyptian Railway Authority have resigned following the incident, according to MENA.
Rail accidents are common in Egypt as the country's railway system has a poor safety record.
Four people were killed and 32 others injured when two trains collided in Fayum, a city in the southwest of Cairo, Sunday last.
In 2002, 376 people were killed in the country’s worst railway accident when a packed train traveling from Cairo to Luxo caught fire.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge