47 Kids Killed As Train Collides With School Bus In Egypt
By Sreeja V N | November 17, 2012 8:46 PM EST
At least 47 school children were killed and 13 others injured when a train collided with a school bus carrying children to their school in southern Egypt Saturday, the official news agency said.
Local media reports said that the train hit the school bus at a rail road crossing in the city of Manfalut, near Assiut, south of Cairo.
"There are several deaths and injuries among the pupils. They are being counted and taken to hospitals," Mamdouh al-Weshahi, a senior Health Ministry official, was quoted as saying by DPA.
According to the official who spoke on condition of anonymity, it appears that the railroad crossing was open as the train sped towards it.
Most of the children killed were kindergartners students in the age group of 3-7 and the distraught parents and relatives were searching for the remains of the kids along the tracks, local media reported.
A local governor has ordered a probe into the accident, and President Mohamed Morsi has directed the officials to “offer all the assistance to the families of the victims," according to the official MENA agency.
Transport Minister Rashad al-Metini and the head of the Egyptian Railway Authority have resigned following the incident, according to MENA.
Rail accidents are common in Egypt as the country's railway system has a poor safety record.
Four people were killed and 32 others injured when two trains collided in Fayum, a city in the southwest of Cairo, Sunday last.
In 2002, 376 people were killed in the country’s worst railway accident when a packed train traveling from Cairo to Luxo caught fire.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef