Japan Slips into Recession as Global Demand Slumps
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 17, 2012 8:41 PM EST
The downward forecast revision was prompted by a host of weak economic indicators from the world's third largest economy.
Two straight quarters of economic contraction is commonly considered as an indicator of recession.
But the analysts surveyed added that the economy may pick up with 0.4 percent growth in the first quarter of the next year, as the global economy rebounds.
"We expect the economy will escape from a 'technical recession' and will pick up in January-March next year helped by economic recovery in the United States and China," Kyohei Morita, chief economist at Barclays Securities Japan told Reuters.
The slowing global economy and the rejection of Japanese goods in China impacted the country's export-reliant economy. Official data showed that shipments fell 5 percent from July to September.
Earlier, a report issued by analysts at Nomura Research in Tokyo said that Japanese exports may not show a significant revival before the end of 2012, so the economy could drop further in the final quarter of the fiscal year.
"We project a return to growth in 2013 Q1, however, as inventory adjustments end in China and exports pick up to China and other parts of Asia," they said, in line with the Reuters poll findings.
Japan has also been hit by a political impasse in implementing economic reform. The country is set to hold elections in December, which are likely to see the current opposition Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) coming to power.
The weak indicators and stubborn deflation have increased the pressure on the Bank of Japan to introduce further monetary easing measures. The central bank increased its asset purchase plan by 11 trillion yen in October.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal