Japan Slips into Recession as Global Demand Slumps
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 17, 2012 8:41 PM EST
The downward forecast revision was prompted by a host of weak economic indicators from the world's third largest economy.
Two straight quarters of economic contraction is commonly considered as an indicator of recession.
But the analysts surveyed added that the economy may pick up with 0.4 percent growth in the first quarter of the next year, as the global economy rebounds.
"We expect the economy will escape from a 'technical recession' and will pick up in January-March next year helped by economic recovery in the United States and China," Kyohei Morita, chief economist at Barclays Securities Japan told Reuters.
The slowing global economy and the rejection of Japanese goods in China impacted the country's export-reliant economy. Official data showed that shipments fell 5 percent from July to September.
Earlier, a report issued by analysts at Nomura Research in Tokyo said that Japanese exports may not show a significant revival before the end of 2012, so the economy could drop further in the final quarter of the fiscal year.
"We project a return to growth in 2013 Q1, however, as inventory adjustments end in China and exports pick up to China and other parts of Asia," they said, in line with the Reuters poll findings.
Japan has also been hit by a political impasse in implementing economic reform. The country is set to hold elections in December, which are likely to see the current opposition Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) coming to power.
The weak indicators and stubborn deflation have increased the pressure on the Bank of Japan to introduce further monetary easing measures. The central bank increased its asset purchase plan by 11 trillion yen in October.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Chicago Marathon Brings Over $253 Million in Business
- New Zealand's High Growth Rate Predicted To Fall When Christchurch Rebuild Halts
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?