Japan Slips into Recession as Global Demand Slumps
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 17, 2012 8:41 PM EST
The downward forecast revision was prompted by a host of weak economic indicators from the world's third largest economy.
Two straight quarters of economic contraction is commonly considered as an indicator of recession.
But the analysts surveyed added that the economy may pick up with 0.4 percent growth in the first quarter of the next year, as the global economy rebounds.
"We expect the economy will escape from a 'technical recession' and will pick up in January-March next year helped by economic recovery in the United States and China," Kyohei Morita, chief economist at Barclays Securities Japan told Reuters.
The slowing global economy and the rejection of Japanese goods in China impacted the country's export-reliant economy. Official data showed that shipments fell 5 percent from July to September.
Earlier, a report issued by analysts at Nomura Research in Tokyo said that Japanese exports may not show a significant revival before the end of 2012, so the economy could drop further in the final quarter of the fiscal year.
"We project a return to growth in 2013 Q1, however, as inventory adjustments end in China and exports pick up to China and other parts of Asia," they said, in line with the Reuters poll findings.
Japan has also been hit by a political impasse in implementing economic reform. The country is set to hold elections in December, which are likely to see the current opposition Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) coming to power.
The weak indicators and stubborn deflation have increased the pressure on the Bank of Japan to introduce further monetary easing measures. The central bank increased its asset purchase plan by 11 trillion yen in October.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS