Japan Slips into Recession as Global Demand Slumps
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 17, 2012 8:41 PM EST
The downward forecast revision was prompted by a host of weak economic indicators from the world's third largest economy.
Two straight quarters of economic contraction is commonly considered as an indicator of recession.
But the analysts surveyed added that the economy may pick up with 0.4 percent growth in the first quarter of the next year, as the global economy rebounds.
"We expect the economy will escape from a 'technical recession' and will pick up in January-March next year helped by economic recovery in the United States and China," Kyohei Morita, chief economist at Barclays Securities Japan told Reuters.
The slowing global economy and the rejection of Japanese goods in China impacted the country's export-reliant economy. Official data showed that shipments fell 5 percent from July to September.
Earlier, a report issued by analysts at Nomura Research in Tokyo said that Japanese exports may not show a significant revival before the end of 2012, so the economy could drop further in the final quarter of the fiscal year.
"We project a return to growth in 2013 Q1, however, as inventory adjustments end in China and exports pick up to China and other parts of Asia," they said, in line with the Reuters poll findings.
Japan has also been hit by a political impasse in implementing economic reform. The country is set to hold elections in December, which are likely to see the current opposition Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) coming to power.
The weak indicators and stubborn deflation have increased the pressure on the Bank of Japan to introduce further monetary easing measures. The central bank increased its asset purchase plan by 11 trillion yen in October.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports