Di Matteo Admits Falcao Desire
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 17, 2012 8:07 PM EST
Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo has hinted at the possibility of Colombian forward Radamel Falcao moving to Stamford Bridge. The Blues' boss, however, was quick to point out that any talk of the Atletico Madrid forward moving to the European champions was all speculation, for now.
"Falcao is one of the best strikers, probably, in European and world football. His ratio of goals per game is quite impressive not just this season but over the last three years, at Porto and Atletico Madrid. If you ask any manager, he'd have him in his team. I know the window's nearing and there'll be a lot of speculation for our club, but whatever we do we'll keep it behind closed doors," Di Matteo explained.
The Premier League club have been linked with a move for the South American ever since he scored a hat-trick against them to lead the La Liga club to the European Super Cup trophy earlier this season. A £48m January move was suggested back then and, more recently, an IBTimes UK article reported club owner Roman Abramovich has finally lost patience with Spain striker Fernando Torres, paving the way for Falcao's arrival in London.
Meanwhile, Di Matteo also spoke on the prospect of losing John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses to the African Cup of Nations in January. The midfielder and the winger will likely be called to the Nigerian national squad for that tournament and could miss up to a month of club duty. As things stand, the Blues have only Torres and England youngster Daniel Sturridge as recognised strikers in the senior squad. Winger Victor Moses has had a good start to his Chelsea career and his physical and direct style does create problems for defenders, particularly when he runs at them with the ball. His absence will leave Di Matteo distinctly short of options to play up front, with Belgian Eden Hazard, Spaniard Juan Mata and Brazilian Oscar likely to have to put in double shifts.
"We're looking at that, because we'll lose Victor and John Obi Mikel for that tournament. We'll look and see how we deal with it, but for the moment we're okay," said the Italian boss.
Chelsea will probably strengthen their squad in January, by signing another striker, at the least. Can the European champions land Falcao? That is a difficult question, given league champions Manchester City are also interested in the player. Either way though, it does appear Torres' time at Chelsea is coming to an end, unless the former Liverpool and Atletico forward bursts into life between now and January.
Romeu Not for Sale
The Chelsea manager also rubbished rumors of Torres' compatriot, Oriol Romeu, leaving Stamford Bridge during the January transfer window. The 21 year old Spanish international has featured just four times for the Blues this season and there was interest from Italy and Spain for Romeu's service.
"Romeu is a very young talent with good prospects for the future. He has offers from other clubs and especially from Spain but I have had calls from Italy as well. But he has been playing a bit more lately and he will be playing more in the future. There is absolutely no chance of him leaving in January," Di Matteo said, of the former Barcelona youngster.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories