Egypt Bus-Train Crash Kills 47 Nursery Children
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 17, 2012 8:06 PM EST
Up to 47 young children are feared dead after the bus in which they were travelling was crushed by a speeding train in the city of Assyut, a few kilometres south of the Egyptian capital Cairo.
All the children were between four and six years old, said the official news agency MENA.
The bus was carrying nearly 60 children who were on a trip organised by their nursery. The vehicle got stuck at a railway crossing, and the train rammed into the bus shortly afterwards.
Many other children were critically injured in the accident and the death toll is likely to rise, reports suggest.
"They [witnesses] told us the barriers were open when the bus crossed the tracks and the train collided with it," Mohamed Samir, a doctor, told Reuters.
Egyptian Transport Minister Rashad al-Metini has resigned in the wake of the accident, taking responsibility.
President Mohammad Mursi has ordered Prime Minister Hesham Qandil to handle the situation.
Around one month ago, 55 schoolchildren were injured when the bus they were travelling in toppled over.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS