Egypt Bus-Train Crash Kills 47 Nursery Children
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 17, 2012 8:06 PM EST
Up to 47 young children are feared dead after the bus in which they were travelling was crushed by a speeding train in the city of Assyut, a few kilometres south of the Egyptian capital Cairo.
All the children were between four and six years old, said the official news agency MENA.
The bus was carrying nearly 60 children who were on a trip organised by their nursery. The vehicle got stuck at a railway crossing, and the train rammed into the bus shortly afterwards.
Many other children were critically injured in the accident and the death toll is likely to rise, reports suggest.
"They [witnesses] told us the barriers were open when the bus crossed the tracks and the train collided with it," Mohamed Samir, a doctor, told Reuters.
Egyptian Transport Minister Rashad al-Metini has resigned in the wake of the accident, taking responsibility.
President Mohammad Mursi has ordered Prime Minister Hesham Qandil to handle the situation.
Around one month ago, 55 schoolchildren were injured when the bus they were travelling in toppled over.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales