Egypt Bus-Train Crash Kills 47 Nursery Children
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 17, 2012 8:06 PM EST
Up to 47 young children are feared dead after the bus in which they were travelling was crushed by a speeding train in the city of Assyut, a few kilometres south of the Egyptian capital Cairo.
All the children were between four and six years old, said the official news agency MENA.
The bus was carrying nearly 60 children who were on a trip organised by their nursery. The vehicle got stuck at a railway crossing, and the train rammed into the bus shortly afterwards.
Many other children were critically injured in the accident and the death toll is likely to rise, reports suggest.
"They [witnesses] told us the barriers were open when the bus crossed the tracks and the train collided with it," Mohamed Samir, a doctor, told Reuters.
Egyptian Transport Minister Rashad al-Metini has resigned in the wake of the accident, taking responsibility.
President Mohammad Mursi has ordered Prime Minister Hesham Qandil to handle the situation.
Around one month ago, 55 schoolchildren were injured when the bus they were travelling in toppled over.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Australia's 29-Year-old Virgin Wombat Patrick Captures the Hearts of Social Media Fans
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine