Liverpool v Wigan Athletic: Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | November 17, 2012 7:39 PM EST
Liverpool welcome Wigan Athletic to Anfield, as the Reds look to extend a six-match unbeaten run in the Premier League with victory against the Latics.
Where to Watch Live
Kick-off is set for 3pm GMT. LFC TV will have a build-up to the match from 2pm. Watch highlights of the game on Match of the Day on BBC One at 10.30pm GMT.
Neither Liverpool nor Wigan started the season as well as they might have wanted, and both are now languishing in the wrong half of the Premier League table; the Reds 13th and the Latics 14th.
Liverpool lost 1-3 at Anfield to Brendan Rodgers' former club, Swansea City, last month, bringing an end to their bid to retain the League Cup. They also suffered a 0-1 loss to Anzhi Makhachkala in Moscow last week, putting their Europa League campaign in jeopardy. However, the Merseyside outfit has not been beaten in the Premier League since the highly controversial defeat to rivals Manchester United in September.
Meanwhile, Wigan posted an impressive 0-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane two weeks ago but were pegged back with a 1-2 loss to West Bromwich Albion at home last week. Roberto Martinez's side was knocked out of the League Cup last month, when Bradford City, who are battling relegation in League Two, beat them 4-2 on penalties at the DW Stadium.
This clash is also a meeting between the two major candidates for the Liverpool managerial job last summer. Rodgers was eventually appointed, while Martinez gave the impression he turned the offer down.
Liverpool have not beaten Wigan in their last five meetings, with their last triumph coming in 2009. Martinez's side won at Anfield last season, a result which contributed heavily to Kenny Dalglish's dismissal. The victory was crucial to the Latics' successful battle against relegation and a repeat of the result this time will surely give as much satisfaction to Martinez.
- • Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): D L D L D
- • Last Match: Chelsea 1 - 1 Liverpool
- • Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): L W L W L
- • Last Match: Wigan Athletic 1 - 2 West Bromwich Albion
Liverpool: Pepe Reina has recovered from a hamstring injury and is pushing for a recall at the expense of Brad Jones. Jonjo Shelvey and Martin Skrtel are set to return after missing last weekend's game at Chelsea, while Daniel Agger should overcome a groin problem in time, after pulling out of the Denmark squad in midweek. Long-term absentees Fabio Borini and Martin Kelly remain sidelined, while this match has come too soon for Lucas Leiva, who only returned to training this week.
Probable Line-Up (4-3-3): Reina; Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique; Allen, Sahin, Gerrard; Suso, Suarez, Sterling
Wigan Athletic: The Latics welcome back Ryo Miyaichi, on loan from Arsenal, after the Japanese winger recovered from a groin injury. Ali Al-Habsi, who is strongly linked with Liverpool, is fit despite concerns over a shoulder injury he picked up against West Brom last week. However, James McArthur, who has been sidelined by a dead leg, is still doubtful. Antolin Alcaraz and Albert Crusat both remain long-term absentees as Martinez is expected to name an unchanged side for the third league game in a row.
Probable Line-Up (3-4-1-2): Al Habsi; Ramis, Caldwell, Figueroa; Boyce, McCarthy, Watson, Beausejour; Maloney; Kone, Di Santo
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast