Liverpool v Wigan Athletic: Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | November 17, 2012 7:39 PM EST
Liverpool welcome Wigan Athletic to Anfield, as the Reds look to extend a six-match unbeaten run in the Premier League with victory against the Latics.
Where to Watch Live
Kick-off is set for 3pm GMT. LFC TV will have a build-up to the match from 2pm. Watch highlights of the game on Match of the Day on BBC One at 10.30pm GMT.
Neither Liverpool nor Wigan started the season as well as they might have wanted, and both are now languishing in the wrong half of the Premier League table; the Reds 13th and the Latics 14th.
Liverpool lost 1-3 at Anfield to Brendan Rodgers' former club, Swansea City, last month, bringing an end to their bid to retain the League Cup. They also suffered a 0-1 loss to Anzhi Makhachkala in Moscow last week, putting their Europa League campaign in jeopardy. However, the Merseyside outfit has not been beaten in the Premier League since the highly controversial defeat to rivals Manchester United in September.
Meanwhile, Wigan posted an impressive 0-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane two weeks ago but were pegged back with a 1-2 loss to West Bromwich Albion at home last week. Roberto Martinez's side was knocked out of the League Cup last month, when Bradford City, who are battling relegation in League Two, beat them 4-2 on penalties at the DW Stadium.
This clash is also a meeting between the two major candidates for the Liverpool managerial job last summer. Rodgers was eventually appointed, while Martinez gave the impression he turned the offer down.
Liverpool have not beaten Wigan in their last five meetings, with their last triumph coming in 2009. Martinez's side won at Anfield last season, a result which contributed heavily to Kenny Dalglish's dismissal. The victory was crucial to the Latics' successful battle against relegation and a repeat of the result this time will surely give as much satisfaction to Martinez.
- • Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): D L D L D
- • Last Match: Chelsea 1 - 1 Liverpool
- • Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): L W L W L
- • Last Match: Wigan Athletic 1 - 2 West Bromwich Albion
Liverpool: Pepe Reina has recovered from a hamstring injury and is pushing for a recall at the expense of Brad Jones. Jonjo Shelvey and Martin Skrtel are set to return after missing last weekend's game at Chelsea, while Daniel Agger should overcome a groin problem in time, after pulling out of the Denmark squad in midweek. Long-term absentees Fabio Borini and Martin Kelly remain sidelined, while this match has come too soon for Lucas Leiva, who only returned to training this week.
Probable Line-Up (4-3-3): Reina; Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique; Allen, Sahin, Gerrard; Suso, Suarez, Sterling
Wigan Athletic: The Latics welcome back Ryo Miyaichi, on loan from Arsenal, after the Japanese winger recovered from a groin injury. Ali Al-Habsi, who is strongly linked with Liverpool, is fit despite concerns over a shoulder injury he picked up against West Brom last week. However, James McArthur, who has been sidelined by a dead leg, is still doubtful. Antolin Alcaraz and Albert Crusat both remain long-term absentees as Martinez is expected to name an unchanged side for the third league game in a row.
Probable Line-Up (3-4-1-2): Al Habsi; Ramis, Caldwell, Figueroa; Boyce, McCarthy, Watson, Beausejour; Maloney; Kone, Di Santo
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal