Arsenal and Liverpool in Shock Swap Deal - Report
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | November 17, 2012 7:26 PM EST
Arsenal are reportedly considering a move for Liverpool youngster Raheem Sterling and are prepared to offer England international Theo Walcott as bait. Arsene Wenger recently admitted contract talks with Walcott, 23, had stalled and the Frenchman seems prepared to cut his losses sooner rather than later.
Walcott is in the final year of his contract with the Gunners and talks over a new deal have been going on for some time, without any resolution. It is believed the England man wants a pay package close to £90,000 per week and the promise of a central attacking role. However, Arsenal's best offer is about £10,000 short and Wenger is evasive on Walcott's tactical demands.
Walcott's contract situation at the Emirates has alerted a number of other clubs, including the Gunners' Premier League rivals Chelsea and Liverpool, both of whom have been credited with strong interest. The Metro reported the Blues sent a scout to watch Arsenal's home game against Fulham; Walcott was injured in the 23rd minute but set up two goals for team-mate Olivier Giroud in his short time on the pitch.
Meanwhile, The Sun now reports Wenger is taking a more direct stance in contract negotiations and is actively seeking a replacement for Walcott. The Frenchman will reportedly offer the Anfield club £8m and Walcott for England youngster Raheem Sterling. Incidentally, Sterling too is in the middle of contract talks with Brendan Rodgers' side but he has 18 months left on his deal.
Liverpool's Interest in Walcott
The Reds have been strongly linked with Walcott and the Daily Mail spoke of an £8m January bid. However, while Rodgers would no doubt welcome the England man at Anfield - particularly considering the serious shortage of experienced internationals who can play in a central striking role - publicly the Northern Irishman has always been correct about Walcott's situation.
"There is nothing to say (about Walcott). He is an Arsenal player and it is all speculation about many players at the moment," Rodgers said, adding, "We'll have funds and I'm in talks with the owners at the moment, along with our recruitment team."
Sterling, 17, who made his England senior team debut in the midweek friendly against Sweden, has been lavishly praised by his manager and club captain Steven Gerrard. There was a degree of confusion over the Anfield academy product's future, when reports suggested he would demand £50,000 per week to sign a new deal. The player himself responded with a tweet, which has since been deleted, that rubbished the previous claims. However, Rodgers said he believed a new contract would not be a problem.
"I think it will be pretty straightforward. Raheem himself, his representatives and his family, they know he's at the best club he can ever be at for his development in both the short and long term. So that will be resolved. There won't be an issue there," the former Swansea City boss said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia