JP Morgan and Credit Suisse to Pay £263m to Settle Charges of Misleading Investors
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 17, 2012 6:21 PM EST
JP Morgan Chase and Credit Suisse have agreed to pay $417m (£263m) to settle US charges that they misled investors in the sale of residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) before the 2008 economic crisis.
SEC noted that JP Morgan collected more than $2.7m in fees while investors made losses of at least $37m on undisclosed delinquent loans.
The lender is also accused of the failure of Bear Stearn, the investment bank it acquired in 2008, to disclose the system of collecting and retaining cash settlements from mortgage loan originators on problem loans it had sold.
Credit Suisse also faces similar charges. The SEC said that the firm made $55.7m in profits while its investors lost over $10m. Both firms agreed to settle the charges without admitting or refuting liability.
"In many ways, mortgage products such as RMBS were ground zero in the financial crisis," said SEC enforcement chief Robert Khuzami in a statement.
"Misrepresentations in connection with the creation and sale of mortgage securities contributed greatly to the tremendous losses suffered by investors once the US housing market collapsed."
The settlements are the most recent initiative by the regulators to hold Wall Street responsible for the actions that led to the financial downturn.
In 2010 Goldman Sachs had accepted settlement of $550m on charges of misleading investors in a mortgage bond deal.
Khuzami further indicated that other RMBS deals are being investigated.
JP Morgan has responded to the settlement stating that it "is pleased to have reached agreement with the SEC to put these matters concerning RMBS behind it".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers