Chicago Cubs Trade Rumors: Cubs to Address Starting Pitching, Outfield?
November 17, 2012 8:42 AM EST
With one of their lowest payrolls in almost a decade, the Chicago Cubs finished 36 games back of the National League Central. Chicago had about $87 million tied up in player contracts in 2012, which was reportedly their lowest mark since 2005.
Team owner meetings began in Chicago this week, and the Cubs could use those face-to-face sit-downs to shore up their underperforming staff and maybe add another outfielder, but that will cost money.
Chicago was 28th in runs scored last season, and had a team ERA of 4.51. Only Colorado and Houston had worse ERAs in the NL.
Team president Theo Epstein addressed some of Chicago’s needs earlier this week.
Catcher Dioner Navarro signed a one-year $1.75 million contract Thursday, and right-hander Scott Baker inked a one year $5.5 million deal, plus incentives, Tuesday.
Both signings can help the Cubs staff, but offense is still lacking.
Several big bats are still available, like Cody Ross from the Red Sox. The 31-year-old knocked in 81 runs and 22 homeruns last year.
Atlanta's Michale Bourn could be another option. Bourn hit a career-high nine homeruns, and scored 96 runs and stole 42 bases in 2012.
In terms of pitching, two weeks ago the Cubs were the rumored destination for then Los Angeles Angel Dan Haren, but that deal fell apart, and Haren is now a free agent.
The Cubs could take a direct run at Haren, who admittedly had an off year going 12-13 with a 4.33 ERA in 2012, but is only one year removed from a 16-10 record and a 3.17 ERA with the best strikeout-to-walk ratio in the majors.
Even if Haren doesn’t sign, Chicago garnered some positive news about starter Matt Garza.
Garza was cleared earlier this week to resume strength and conditioning training, but according to ESPN Chicago, the Cubs could use Garza as trade bait next season for prospects.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone