Gold, Silver Shares Rebound, Precious Metals Mixed
By jturbin | November 17, 2012 8:09 AM EST
Shares of most gold and silver companies finished higher on Friday, as they bounced back from yesterday’s steep sell-off. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) closed up by 0.8% at 165.67.
Notable advancers in the sector included XAU components Gold Fields (GFI), Newmont Mining (NEM), and Silver Wheaton (SLW). Shares of GFI climbed by 1.7% to $11.73, NEM by 1.3% to $46.14 , and SLW by 2.0% to $36.12.
(Visit GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com for rankings and analysis on over 90 gold and silver stocks)
The sector’s gains came despite mixed action in precious metals, which did not rebound from Thursday’s weakness. COMEX gold futures settled up by only $0.90 at $1,714.70 per ounce while COMEX silver dropped by $0.30, or 0.9%, to $32.37 per ounce.
Gold and silver were unable to gain any traction as the U.S. dollar continued to rally against a basket of foreign currencies. The U.S. Dollar Index (DXY) rose by as much as 0.5% to 81.455, its highest level in over two months.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June