Gold, Silver Shares Rebound, Precious Metals Mixed
By jturbin | November 17, 2012 8:09 AM EST
Shares of most gold and silver companies finished higher on Friday, as they bounced back from yesterday’s steep sell-off. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) closed up by 0.8% at 165.67.
Notable advancers in the sector included XAU components Gold Fields (GFI), Newmont Mining (NEM), and Silver Wheaton (SLW). Shares of GFI climbed by 1.7% to $11.73, NEM by 1.3% to $46.14 , and SLW by 2.0% to $36.12.
(Visit GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com for rankings and analysis on over 90 gold and silver stocks)
The sector’s gains came despite mixed action in precious metals, which did not rebound from Thursday’s weakness. COMEX gold futures settled up by only $0.90 at $1,714.70 per ounce while COMEX silver dropped by $0.30, or 0.9%, to $32.37 per ounce.
Gold and silver were unable to gain any traction as the U.S. dollar continued to rally against a basket of foreign currencies. The U.S. Dollar Index (DXY) rose by as much as 0.5% to 81.455, its highest level in over two months.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga