Gold, Silver Shares Rebound, Precious Metals Mixed
By jturbin | November 17, 2012 8:09 AM EST
Shares of most gold and silver companies finished higher on Friday, as they bounced back from yesterday’s steep sell-off. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) closed up by 0.8% at 165.67.
Notable advancers in the sector included XAU components Gold Fields (GFI), Newmont Mining (NEM), and Silver Wheaton (SLW). Shares of GFI climbed by 1.7% to $11.73, NEM by 1.3% to $46.14 , and SLW by 2.0% to $36.12.
(Visit GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com for rankings and analysis on over 90 gold and silver stocks)
The sector’s gains came despite mixed action in precious metals, which did not rebound from Thursday’s weakness. COMEX gold futures settled up by only $0.90 at $1,714.70 per ounce while COMEX silver dropped by $0.30, or 0.9%, to $32.37 per ounce.
Gold and silver were unable to gain any traction as the U.S. dollar continued to rally against a basket of foreign currencies. The U.S. Dollar Index (DXY) rose by as much as 0.5% to 81.455, its highest level in over two months.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans