Wall Street ends up on "fiscal cliff" hopes
November 17, 2012 8:28 AM EST
Hope that politicians would find common ground to steer clear of the "fiscal cliff" boosted stocks on Friday, though the gains were not enough to offset the week's losses.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> gained 45.85 points, or 0.37 percent, to 12,588.23. The S&P 500 <.SPX> rose 6.53 points, or 0.48 percent, to 1,359.86. The Nasdaq Composite <.IXIC> added 16.19 points, or 0.57 percent, to 2,853.13.
For the week, the Dow fell 1.8 percent, the S&P dropped 1.5 percent and the Nasdaq lost 1.8 percent.
(Reporting by Rodrigo Campos; Editing by Kenneth Barry)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen