Wall Street little changed following "fiscal cliff" talks
By Leah Schnurr | November 17, 2012 7:14 AM EST
Stocks were little changed on Friday as initial optimism after congressional leaders vowed to find common ground on a deal on tax and spending changes faded in the late afternoon.
The three major indexes had turned higher following the comments, but gave up the gains to trade flat. Worries about what the ultimate outcome of the "fiscal cliff" discussions will be have caused investors to pull out of stocks over the last two weeks. The S&P 500 is down 1.7 percent for the week.
Democrats said they recognized the need to curb spending and Republicans said they had agreed to put "revenue on the table" following a meeting with President Barack Obama.
"Everyone is realizing the policy decisions are not going to happen any time soon, but they could also have a large impact," said Kate Warne, investment strategist at Edward Jones in St Louis.
"So we're seeing the market in a wait-and-see mode, hoping that we'll see a resolution, but not being certain at this point."
Investors worry the economy could contract again if no deal is reached in Washington to avoid the large, automatic budget cuts and tax hikes that begin to take effect in the new year.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> dipped 18.97 points, or 0.15 percent, to 12,523.41. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> was off 1.32 points, or 0.10 percent, to 1,352.01. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> edged up 0.43 points, or 0.02 percent, at 2,837.36.
More violence in the Middle East also kept investors wary after Palestinian militants nearly hit Jerusalem with a rocket for the first time in decades and fired at Tel Aviv for a second day.
Shares of Penn National Gaming Inc
Sears Holdings Corp
(Editing by Kenneth Barry)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop