Britain freezes aid to Uganda over corruption concerns
November 17, 2012 6:35 AM EST
Britain has suspended all aid to the government of Uganda over new evidence that British taxpayers' money may have been stolen, Development Secretary Justine Greening said on Friday.
Four European countries including Britain had already suspended some aid to Kampala over a growing scandal involving the theft of $13 million (8.1 million pounds) in donor funds meant for the reconstruction of two impoverished regions.
Britain had planned to channel a total of 27 million pounds in aid money through the Ugandan government this financial year. Friday's announcement means Kampala will not receive the remaining 11 million pounds that had been due by the end of March.
"Unless the Government of Uganda can show that UK taxpayers' money is going towards helping the poorest people lift themselves out of poverty, this aid will remain frozen and we will expect repayment and administrative and criminal sanctions," the Department for International Development said in a statement.
Norway, Ireland and Denmark have also suspended aid to Uganda. Britain had already frozen aid specifically to the prime minister's office in August.
Uganda's auditor general has implicated officials from the prime minister's office in embezzlement on a grand scale.
The scandal adds to concerns about corruption under President Yoweri Museveni, whose critics say has created a culture of impunity for cronies who steal public money while remaining loyal to the ruling party.
(Reporting by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around