JPMorgan, Credit Suisse settle SEC cases for $417 million
November 17, 2012 6:14 AM EST
JPMorgan Chase & Co and Credit Suisse Group will pay a combined $416.9 million (262.4 million pounds) to settle U.S. civil charges that they fraudulently misled investors in residential mortgage-backed securities offerings.
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission said on Friday JPMorgan will pay $296.9 million, while Credit Suisse will pay $120 million. Both agreed to settle without admitting or denying the charges.
JPMorgan and Credit Suisse in separate statements said they were pleased to settle.
Friday's settlements are less than the $550 million that Goldman Sachs Group Inc had agreed to pay in 2010 to settle SEC charges that it misled investors in a complex mortgage bond transaction. That bank also did not admit wrongdoing.
The SEC accused JPMorgan of making materially false and misleading statements about the quality of home loans that backed a $1.8 billion residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) offering it underwrote in December 2006.
It also held JPMorgan responsible for the failure of Bear Stearns Cos, which the bank bought in 2008, to disclose its practice of keeping cash settlements from loan originators on problem loans that Bear sold into mortgage loan trusts.
Credit Suisse failed to disclose similar cash settlements, and also made misstatements in regulatory filings about when it would buy back mortgage loans when borrowers missed their first payments, known as first payment defaults.
"In many ways, mortgage products such as RMBS were ground zero in the financial crisis," SEC enforcement chief Robert Khuzami said in a statement. "Misrepresentations in connection with the creation and sale of mortgage securities contributed greatly to the tremendous losses suffered by investors once the U.S. housing market collapsed."
(Reporting By Aruna Viswanatha and Sarah N. Lynch in Washington, D.C. and Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Richard Chang)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions