DirecTV Lakers: L.A. Games Now On SportsNet After Time Warner Cable Agreement
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 17, 2012 5:24 AM EST
DirecTV customers in the Los Angeles area can now watch the new-look Lakers after the satellite television company reached an agreement with Time Warner Cable to carry the new SportsNet channel.
SportsNet is a property of Time Warner, which was engaged in drawn-out negotiations with the satellite provider to carry the channel to DirecTV subscribers, the Los Angeles Times reported. The satellite cable company has about 1.7 million subsribers in the Los Angeles area.
"We appreciate our customers' patience and are happy to have arrived at an outcome that benefits everyone involved," DirecTV Chief Content Officer Dan York said in a statement. "We know that our customers will enjoy the great programming of these three franchises for many years to come.”
Terms of the deal or length of the contract were not disclosed, but the agreement includes the Spanish-language SportsNet channel, Deportes.
Time Warner had been asking for a maximum of $3.95 a month per subscriber from DirecTV for both channels, which the Times pointed out is a hefty price compared to other regional networks across the country.
For example, the YES Network in New York, which broadcasts New York Yankee games, charges $3 a month per subscriber to cable networks for the channel, consulting firm SNL Kagan told the Times.
The deal between DirecTV and Time Warner means customers of the satellite provider can watch Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and the rest of the new-look Lakers for the first time this season.
DirecTV joins AT&T U-Verse, Charter, Verizon Fios and Bright House Networks as cable companies that carry SportsNet, NBC Los Angeles reported.
However, Dish Network subscribers are still shut out from watching the Lakers, as the company has yet to enter into an agreement with Time Warner to carry SportsNet.
Besides the Lakers, SportsNet broadcasts the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks and the L.A. Galaxy of Major League Soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28