DirecTV Lakers: L.A. Games Now On SportsNet After Time Warner Cable Agreement
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 17, 2012 5:24 AM EST
DirecTV customers in the Los Angeles area can now watch the new-look Lakers after the satellite television company reached an agreement with Time Warner Cable to carry the new SportsNet channel.
SportsNet is a property of Time Warner, which was engaged in drawn-out negotiations with the satellite provider to carry the channel to DirecTV subscribers, the Los Angeles Times reported. The satellite cable company has about 1.7 million subsribers in the Los Angeles area.
"We appreciate our customers' patience and are happy to have arrived at an outcome that benefits everyone involved," DirecTV Chief Content Officer Dan York said in a statement. "We know that our customers will enjoy the great programming of these three franchises for many years to come.”
Terms of the deal or length of the contract were not disclosed, but the agreement includes the Spanish-language SportsNet channel, Deportes.
Time Warner had been asking for a maximum of $3.95 a month per subscriber from DirecTV for both channels, which the Times pointed out is a hefty price compared to other regional networks across the country.
For example, the YES Network in New York, which broadcasts New York Yankee games, charges $3 a month per subscriber to cable networks for the channel, consulting firm SNL Kagan told the Times.
The deal between DirecTV and Time Warner means customers of the satellite provider can watch Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and the rest of the new-look Lakers for the first time this season.
DirecTV joins AT&T U-Verse, Charter, Verizon Fios and Bright House Networks as cable companies that carry SportsNet, NBC Los Angeles reported.
However, Dish Network subscribers are still shut out from watching the Lakers, as the company has yet to enter into an agreement with Time Warner to carry SportsNet.
Besides the Lakers, SportsNet broadcasts the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks and the L.A. Galaxy of Major League Soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate