DirecTV Lakers: L.A. Games Now On SportsNet After Time Warner Cable Agreement
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 17, 2012 5:24 AM EST
DirecTV customers in the Los Angeles area can now watch the new-look Lakers after the satellite television company reached an agreement with Time Warner Cable to carry the new SportsNet channel.
SportsNet is a property of Time Warner, which was engaged in drawn-out negotiations with the satellite provider to carry the channel to DirecTV subscribers, the Los Angeles Times reported. The satellite cable company has about 1.7 million subsribers in the Los Angeles area.
"We appreciate our customers' patience and are happy to have arrived at an outcome that benefits everyone involved," DirecTV Chief Content Officer Dan York said in a statement. "We know that our customers will enjoy the great programming of these three franchises for many years to come.”
Terms of the deal or length of the contract were not disclosed, but the agreement includes the Spanish-language SportsNet channel, Deportes.
Time Warner had been asking for a maximum of $3.95 a month per subscriber from DirecTV for both channels, which the Times pointed out is a hefty price compared to other regional networks across the country.
For example, the YES Network in New York, which broadcasts New York Yankee games, charges $3 a month per subscriber to cable networks for the channel, consulting firm SNL Kagan told the Times.
The deal between DirecTV and Time Warner means customers of the satellite provider can watch Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and the rest of the new-look Lakers for the first time this season.
DirecTV joins AT&T U-Verse, Charter, Verizon Fios and Bright House Networks as cable companies that carry SportsNet, NBC Los Angeles reported.
However, Dish Network subscribers are still shut out from watching the Lakers, as the company has yet to enter into an agreement with Time Warner to carry SportsNet.
Besides the Lakers, SportsNet broadcasts the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks and the L.A. Galaxy of Major League Soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal