DirecTV Lakers: L.A. Games Now On SportsNet After Time Warner Cable Agreement
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 17, 2012 5:24 AM EST
DirecTV customers in the Los Angeles area can now watch the new-look Lakers after the satellite television company reached an agreement with Time Warner Cable to carry the new SportsNet channel.
SportsNet is a property of Time Warner, which was engaged in drawn-out negotiations with the satellite provider to carry the channel to DirecTV subscribers, the Los Angeles Times reported. The satellite cable company has about 1.7 million subsribers in the Los Angeles area.
"We appreciate our customers' patience and are happy to have arrived at an outcome that benefits everyone involved," DirecTV Chief Content Officer Dan York said in a statement. "We know that our customers will enjoy the great programming of these three franchises for many years to come.”
Terms of the deal or length of the contract were not disclosed, but the agreement includes the Spanish-language SportsNet channel, Deportes.
Time Warner had been asking for a maximum of $3.95 a month per subscriber from DirecTV for both channels, which the Times pointed out is a hefty price compared to other regional networks across the country.
For example, the YES Network in New York, which broadcasts New York Yankee games, charges $3 a month per subscriber to cable networks for the channel, consulting firm SNL Kagan told the Times.
The deal between DirecTV and Time Warner means customers of the satellite provider can watch Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and the rest of the new-look Lakers for the first time this season.
DirecTV joins AT&T U-Verse, Charter, Verizon Fios and Bright House Networks as cable companies that carry SportsNet, NBC Los Angeles reported.
However, Dish Network subscribers are still shut out from watching the Lakers, as the company has yet to enter into an agreement with Time Warner to carry SportsNet.
Besides the Lakers, SportsNet broadcasts the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks and the L.A. Galaxy of Major League Soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia