DirecTV Lakers: L.A. Games Now On SportsNet After Time Warner Cable Agreement
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 17, 2012 5:24 AM EST
DirecTV customers in the Los Angeles area can now watch the new-look Lakers after the satellite television company reached an agreement with Time Warner Cable to carry the new SportsNet channel.
SportsNet is a property of Time Warner, which was engaged in drawn-out negotiations with the satellite provider to carry the channel to DirecTV subscribers, the Los Angeles Times reported. The satellite cable company has about 1.7 million subsribers in the Los Angeles area.
"We appreciate our customers' patience and are happy to have arrived at an outcome that benefits everyone involved," DirecTV Chief Content Officer Dan York said in a statement. "We know that our customers will enjoy the great programming of these three franchises for many years to come.”
Terms of the deal or length of the contract were not disclosed, but the agreement includes the Spanish-language SportsNet channel, Deportes.
Time Warner had been asking for a maximum of $3.95 a month per subscriber from DirecTV for both channels, which the Times pointed out is a hefty price compared to other regional networks across the country.
For example, the YES Network in New York, which broadcasts New York Yankee games, charges $3 a month per subscriber to cable networks for the channel, consulting firm SNL Kagan told the Times.
The deal between DirecTV and Time Warner means customers of the satellite provider can watch Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and the rest of the new-look Lakers for the first time this season.
DirecTV joins AT&T U-Verse, Charter, Verizon Fios and Bright House Networks as cable companies that carry SportsNet, NBC Los Angeles reported.
However, Dish Network subscribers are still shut out from watching the Lakers, as the company has yet to enter into an agreement with Time Warner to carry SportsNet.
Besides the Lakers, SportsNet broadcasts the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks and the L.A. Galaxy of Major League Soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Believes Wilshere's Performance Against City Not Enough For Man Utd Legend Paul Scholes
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date