Gulf of Mexico Oil Rig Explosion Leaves 2 Dead; Is It Another Environmental Disaster?
By Maria Vultaggio | November 17, 2012 5:26 AM EST
Coast Guard officials said an oil rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Louisiana, sending four people to area hospitals on Friday, while two others were believed to be missing and another two were determined dead, the BBC reported.
Three of the four people taken to the hospital were said to be in critical condition, according to WVUE's Chris Finch.
The rig is a production platform owned by Black Elk Energy and is located about 25 miles southeast of Grand Isle, La.
Coast Guard Capt. Peter Gautier explained to WWL TV that 28 people were thought to be aboard the rig.
Twenty-eight people were on the platform when the fire began. Since the explosion, 20 people were evacuated to nearby rigs and oil platforms, seaman Drake Foret said to the BBC.
The platform was not actively producing oil, so it’s unlikely for a major environmental disaster to occur because of the explosion, Gautier explained to the AP.
As of now it is currently unknown if oil has spilled into the water.
Maintenance workers were cutting into a pipe and oil may have escaped causing the explosion on Friday morning.
The Associated Press reported that two helicopters, an airplane and small boats were sent to the area, and the fire has since been put out as of 10.30 a.m.
The Black Elf Energy platform is a production platform, unlike the Deepwater Horizon rig that was drilling a mile-deep water well for oil giant BP east of where Friday’s explosion was reported.
A spokesperson for Black Elk, an independent oil and gas company headquartered in Houston, Texas, has yet to comment on the recent explosion in the Gulf of Mexico.
The explosion occurred just one day after US Attorney General Eric Holder revealed that major oil company BP would have to pay a record criminal fine of $4.5bn (£2.8bn) dating back to the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display