Hurricane Sandy Exposes Century-Old Shipwreck on New York's Fire Island
By Ewan Palmer | November 17, 2012 4:44 AM EST
A wrecked shipping vessel has been unearthed on a barrier island of New York following the devastation left by Hurricane Sandy.
The wrecked schooner was found around 4 miles (6 kilometres) east of Davis Park and has recently been exposed as a result of severe beach erosion brought on by Sandy's storm.
The ship is believed to be Bessie White, which went missing in heavy storms on Long Island nearly a century ago. Conflicting reports say the ship was grounded in 1919 or 1922.
All the crew members escaped alive, but the ship went on its own path and was eventually salvaged for the tons of coal it carried.
Paula Valentine, spokesperson for Davis Park, said: "There's so little of it left we may not be not be able to determine which ship it actually is, but we may be able to learn more about its age.
"It's just a rare treat to see something exposed."
This isn't the first time the shipwreck made an appearance. Parts of it could be seen through the sand previously after nor'easter in 2006 swept through the area.
The entire island was submerged following Hurricane Sandy and the erosion pushed sand dunes back 72 feet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- ISIS Crucifies Teenage Boy For Filming Syrian Base; Image Of Baby Girl Being Beheaded Found [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Planning Christmas With Her Family In Anmer Hall, Norfolk--Report
- Polish Pimps Tattoo Their Names On Sex Trade Workers As Sign Of Loyalty
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge