Hurricane Sandy Exposes Century-Old Shipwreck on New York's Fire Island
By Ewan Palmer | November 17, 2012 4:44 AM EST
A wrecked shipping vessel has been unearthed on a barrier island of New York following the devastation left by Hurricane Sandy.
The wrecked schooner was found around 4 miles (6 kilometres) east of Davis Park and has recently been exposed as a result of severe beach erosion brought on by Sandy's storm.
The ship is believed to be Bessie White, which went missing in heavy storms on Long Island nearly a century ago. Conflicting reports say the ship was grounded in 1919 or 1922.
All the crew members escaped alive, but the ship went on its own path and was eventually salvaged for the tons of coal it carried.
Paula Valentine, spokesperson for Davis Park, said: "There's so little of it left we may not be not be able to determine which ship it actually is, but we may be able to learn more about its age.
"It's just a rare treat to see something exposed."
This isn't the first time the shipwreck made an appearance. Parts of it could be seen through the sand previously after nor'easter in 2006 swept through the area.
The entire island was submerged following Hurricane Sandy and the erosion pushed sand dunes back 72 feet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans