Midland Train Crash: 4 Dead, 16 Wounded In Texas Veterans Parade
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 17, 2012 2:29 AM EST
Four people were killed in Midland, Texas, train crash on Thursday after a freight train collided with a flatbed trailers during a parade for military veterans.
The train crash, in which at least 16 people were killed, is being investigated by the National Transportation Safety Board, Reuters reported.
NTSB Chairwoman Debbie Hersman said a team was in route to the scene of the Midland train crash on Friday.
"We want to make sure that we can identify what happened and why it happened so we can prevent things like this from happening in the future,” she said.
The train crash occurred during the “Hunt for Heroes” parade in Midland. The parade kicks off a week to honor wounded veterans.
Two flatbed trailers carrying U.S. military veterans and their spouses were trying to cross railroad tracks in Midland when the second vehicle collided with a freight train.
"The first flatbed crossed the train tracks completely. The second did not make it across before being struck by the train," police said in a statement.
As military veterans and their spouses saw the oncoming Union Pacific freight train, they jumped off the flatbed trailer. About 12 veterans and their spouses were on the truck when it was hit, according to Reuters.
"It's hard to look at. It's a very tragic event, very unfortunate," Midland Police Chief Price Robinson said, Reuters reported.
Among the dead was Army Sgt. Joshua Michael, a native of Hereford, Texas.
Michael, 34, retired from the military for medical reasons and helped save his wife during the crash, the Amarillo Globe-News reported.
“He pushed his wife off the float — my daughter,” Michael’s mother-in-law, Mary Helfey, told the newspaper.
Helfey said her daughter was not injured in the crash.
She said Michael “was that kind of guy. He always had a smile on his face. He would do for others before he would do for himself.”
The Show of Support Facebook page, which organized the weekend of events for military veterans and their families, was filled with condolences following the train crash.
“So sad. I pray that God will comfort the families and help them heal from this terrible tragedy. ...and I pray that this organization will continue the good work that it has done for our wounded veterans,” wrote Matthew Allen Boyd, of Show of Support. “Thank you for the love and kindness you have shown over the years to these heroes.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet