Gold Prices Stabilize, U.S. Dollar Climbs
By jturbin | November 17, 2012 2:12 AM EST
GOLD PRICE NEWS – The gold price failed to recoup any of yesterday’s losses on Friday as the U.S. dollar continued to advance against a composite of the world’s most prominent currencies. The spot price of gold held near unchanged at $1,715.24 per ounce while the U.S. Dollar Index advanced by 0.3% to 81.275. In doing so, the greenback reached its highest level since early September.
Gold prices have been stymied of late by the rally in the dollar, which has been the primary safe haven asset class to which investors have turned of late as the broader financial markets have shifted into risk-off mode. Silver has also retreated in recent days due in to a combination of the dollar’s strength and weakness in the commodities complex. This morning, the price of silver fell by $0.31, or 0.4%, to $32.48 per ounce.
While the prices of gold and silver were unable to gain any traction on Friday, shares of many precious metals companies rebounded modestly following a large sell-off on Thursday. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) – which yesterday dropped to its lowest level since August 31st – rose by 0.4% to 165.08 this morning.
(Rankings and analysis on over 90 gold and silver stocks at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com)
A few of the better performing XAU components included Harmony Gold (HMY), Hecla Mining (HL), and Yamana Gold (AUY). Shares of HMY advanced by 1.2% to $7.65, HL by 1.0% to $5.42, and AUY by 1.2% to $18.46.
Commenting on the recent weakness in gold prices, Simon Weeks – head of precious metals at Scotia Mocatta – stated that “Gold is being seen increasingly as a source of cash. Liquidation of gold can cover losses elsewhere.”
As for the broader equity markets, exchanges across Europe remained in the red on Friday, as the German DAX slid by 0.8% to 6,989 while the French CAC dropped by 0.4% to 3,368. In the U.S., the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by 0.3% to 12,507.90 and the S&P 500 Index by 0.2% to 1,351.30.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers