Gold Prices Stabilize, U.S. Dollar Climbs
By jturbin | November 17, 2012 2:12 AM EST
GOLD PRICE NEWS – The gold price failed to recoup any of yesterday’s losses on Friday as the U.S. dollar continued to advance against a composite of the world’s most prominent currencies. The spot price of gold held near unchanged at $1,715.24 per ounce while the U.S. Dollar Index advanced by 0.3% to 81.275. In doing so, the greenback reached its highest level since early September.
Gold prices have been stymied of late by the rally in the dollar, which has been the primary safe haven asset class to which investors have turned of late as the broader financial markets have shifted into risk-off mode. Silver has also retreated in recent days due in to a combination of the dollar’s strength and weakness in the commodities complex. This morning, the price of silver fell by $0.31, or 0.4%, to $32.48 per ounce.
While the prices of gold and silver were unable to gain any traction on Friday, shares of many precious metals companies rebounded modestly following a large sell-off on Thursday. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) – which yesterday dropped to its lowest level since August 31st – rose by 0.4% to 165.08 this morning.
(Rankings and analysis on over 90 gold and silver stocks at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com)
A few of the better performing XAU components included Harmony Gold (HMY), Hecla Mining (HL), and Yamana Gold (AUY). Shares of HMY advanced by 1.2% to $7.65, HL by 1.0% to $5.42, and AUY by 1.2% to $18.46.
Commenting on the recent weakness in gold prices, Simon Weeks – head of precious metals at Scotia Mocatta – stated that “Gold is being seen increasingly as a source of cash. Liquidation of gold can cover losses elsewhere.”
As for the broader equity markets, exchanges across Europe remained in the red on Friday, as the German DAX slid by 0.8% to 6,989 while the French CAC dropped by 0.4% to 3,368. In the U.S., the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by 0.3% to 12,507.90 and the S&P 500 Index by 0.2% to 1,351.30.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation