Shares flat as data offsets "cliff" hope
November 17, 2012 1:49 AM EST
Stocks opened flat on Friday after disappointing economic data offset optimism following a Wall Street Journal report that White House officials were discussing taking a more flexible approach in negotiations over the "fiscal cliff."
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> gained 0.23 point to 12,542.61. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> added 0.24 point, or 0.02 percent, to 1,353.57. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> dropped 2.33 points, or 0.08 percent, to 2,834.60.
(Reporting by Chuck Mikolajczak; Editing by Kenneth Barry)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report