Shares flat as data offsets "cliff" hope
November 17, 2012 1:49 AM EST
Stocks opened flat on Friday after disappointing economic data offset optimism following a Wall Street Journal report that White House officials were discussing taking a more flexible approach in negotiations over the "fiscal cliff."
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> gained 0.23 point to 12,542.61. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> added 0.24 point, or 0.02 percent, to 1,353.57. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> dropped 2.33 points, or 0.08 percent, to 2,834.60.
(Reporting by Chuck Mikolajczak; Editing by Kenneth Barry)
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3