Shares flat as data offsets "cliff" hope
November 17, 2012 1:49 AM EST
Stocks opened flat on Friday after disappointing economic data offset optimism following a Wall Street Journal report that White House officials were discussing taking a more flexible approach in negotiations over the "fiscal cliff."
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> gained 0.23 point to 12,542.61. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> added 0.24 point, or 0.02 percent, to 1,353.57. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> dropped 2.33 points, or 0.08 percent, to 2,834.60.
(Reporting by Chuck Mikolajczak; Editing by Kenneth Barry)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2