Brent Caught Between Supply and Demand Fears at $108
By Laura Brodbeck | November 17, 2012 1:15 AM EST
Tension in the Middle East continued to lend support to Brent prices on Friday as concerns about global demand in the future capped gains. The commodity traded at $108.32 on Friday morning, reflecting gains after fighting in the Gaza strip stoked investor fears of supply interruptions.
Reuters reported that many believe oil prices wedged between supply fears and demand concerns will be good for the global economy because it keeps prices stable.
An Israeli airstrike which killed a Hamas military chief on the Gaza Strip this week is expected to be only the beginning of a violent conflict between Israelis and Palestinians. Brent has been supported all year by the tension in the area, but after this violent airstrike, many investors are concerned that Arab producers will be pulled into the conflict.
Also on investors' minds is the nuclear development program in Iran. The country has continued to move forward with uranium enrichment against the wishes of the U.S. and Europe. After several threats of retaliation to military action, the heavily sanctioned country is furthering the program in an underground nuclear plant. This has led many to believe that there is no peaceful outcome for the standoff between Iran and the West.
As the US struggles to reach a decision before the looming ‘fiscal cliff', uncertainty surrounding the number one oil consumer has weighed heavily on Brent prices. That, coupled with Europe's debt crisis, is enough to drive prices to a new low. However, the geopolitical tension has balanced out losses due to struggling global economies.
(c) 2012 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Copyright Benzinga. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports