India v England: Misery Continues for England as Pujara and Spinners Shine for India
By Naveen Ullal | November 17, 2012 12:10 AM EST
India continued where they left off on the second day of the first test against England, declaring on a mammoth 521/8 before reducing the tourists to 41/3 in reply.
Cheteshwar Pujara, who began the day just two runs short of his century, quickly managed to reach the milestone before ploughing on to eventually finish on 206 not out.
Meanwhile Yuvraj Singh, the all-rounder who has made a remarkable recovery from cancer, reaffirmed his credentials by scoring 74 before falling to Samit Patel.
Although skipper MS Dhoni managed to score only five before becoming Graeme Swann's fifth wicket of the innings, Ravichandran Ashwin and Zaheer Khan provided able support to Pujara, taking India past 500 and allowing their captain to declare in a position of supreme dominance.
That dominance was reasserted when England began their innings, new opener Nick Compton making just nine before being bowled by off-spinner Ashwin. James Anderson, sent in as nightwatchman to protect England's middle order, was promptly dismissed by Ashwin's spin partner Pragyan Ojha, forcing England to send in the lynchpin Jonathan Trott.
When the usually reliable Trott edged a fizzing Ashwin delivery to short leg, India's fielders erupted in manic celebration - clearly believing they had taken a decisive step towards victory.
England's hopes now rest on Kevin Pietersen, the man who was originally excluded from this tour for sending text messages mocking his own team-mates during the recent South Africa series. The tourists will be praying their most talented batsman can justify his recall with a big hundred tomorrow, and help his team avoid the follow-on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed