India v England: Misery Continues for England as Pujara and Spinners Shine for India
By Naveen Ullal | November 17, 2012 12:10 AM EST
India continued where they left off on the second day of the first test against England, declaring on a mammoth 521/8 before reducing the tourists to 41/3 in reply.
Cheteshwar Pujara, who began the day just two runs short of his century, quickly managed to reach the milestone before ploughing on to eventually finish on 206 not out.
Meanwhile Yuvraj Singh, the all-rounder who has made a remarkable recovery from cancer, reaffirmed his credentials by scoring 74 before falling to Samit Patel.
Although skipper MS Dhoni managed to score only five before becoming Graeme Swann's fifth wicket of the innings, Ravichandran Ashwin and Zaheer Khan provided able support to Pujara, taking India past 500 and allowing their captain to declare in a position of supreme dominance.
That dominance was reasserted when England began their innings, new opener Nick Compton making just nine before being bowled by off-spinner Ashwin. James Anderson, sent in as nightwatchman to protect England's middle order, was promptly dismissed by Ashwin's spin partner Pragyan Ojha, forcing England to send in the lynchpin Jonathan Trott.
When the usually reliable Trott edged a fizzing Ashwin delivery to short leg, India's fielders erupted in manic celebration - clearly believing they had taken a decisive step towards victory.
England's hopes now rest on Kevin Pietersen, the man who was originally excluded from this tour for sending text messages mocking his own team-mates during the recent South Africa series. The tourists will be praying their most talented batsman can justify his recall with a big hundred tomorrow, and help his team avoid the follow-on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools