Liverpool Legend Jan Molby Wants Suso in a Central Role
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | November 17, 2012 12:06 AM EST
Ex-Liverpool midfielder Jan Molby believes Spanish youngster Suso is well suited to play a central attacking role for Brendan Rodgers' side. The 49 year old former Danish international noted, in the Liverpool Echo, that it was the introduction of the 18 year old Spaniard that radically changed the Premier League game against Chelsea last weekend.
The Reds travelled to Stamford Bridge last week and earned a 1-1 draw, after in-form Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez's second-half header neutralised a first-half goal from the Blues' skipper, John Terry. The match itself was one of two halves, with the hosts dominating the first period. Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech admitted after the match that his side should have scored at least once more in the period and not allowed the Anfield club's comeback after the break.
However, Rodgers' side did make the comeback and were a vastly improved side in the second half. And Molby believes it was Suso's introduction, on the hour mark for on-loan Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin, that eventually earned his former club a point.
"The young Spaniard has great ability - he can hold on to the ball, he can go past players and he sees a pass. He is different to Raheem Sterling, who is all about pace and taking players on," Molby commented, adding, "Suso is happy to slow it down and allow opposition players to get close. He's got that bit of arrogance on the ball that you need."
Molby also admitted that injuries may necessitate Suso playing wide in Rodgers' preferred 4-3-3 formation but urged the former Swansea City boss to play the teenager to a central role whenever possible.
Suso (Jesus Fernandez Saez) joined the Reds' youth academy three years ago, when he was spotted playing for Spanish lower division side Cadiz CF's youth squads. He signed his first professional contract with the Premier League giants in November, 2010 but apart from appearances in testimonials and friendlies, had to wait for his senior debut. That came in September this year, in a Europa League match against BSC Young Boys. He made his Premier League debut against Manchester United in Liverpool's next game and also has one appearance with the Spanish U21 side.
Liverpool host Wigan Athletic on Saturday in this weekend's league matches and the Reds desperately need points. Rodgers' men are only six points above the relegation zone, with 12 points from 11 games. Wigan are one place below them, with 11 from 11 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports