Liverpool Legend Jan Molby Wants Suso in a Central Role
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | November 17, 2012 12:06 AM EST
Ex-Liverpool midfielder Jan Molby believes Spanish youngster Suso is well suited to play a central attacking role for Brendan Rodgers' side. The 49 year old former Danish international noted, in the Liverpool Echo, that it was the introduction of the 18 year old Spaniard that radically changed the Premier League game against Chelsea last weekend.
The Reds travelled to Stamford Bridge last week and earned a 1-1 draw, after in-form Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez's second-half header neutralised a first-half goal from the Blues' skipper, John Terry. The match itself was one of two halves, with the hosts dominating the first period. Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech admitted after the match that his side should have scored at least once more in the period and not allowed the Anfield club's comeback after the break.
However, Rodgers' side did make the comeback and were a vastly improved side in the second half. And Molby believes it was Suso's introduction, on the hour mark for on-loan Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin, that eventually earned his former club a point.
"The young Spaniard has great ability - he can hold on to the ball, he can go past players and he sees a pass. He is different to Raheem Sterling, who is all about pace and taking players on," Molby commented, adding, "Suso is happy to slow it down and allow opposition players to get close. He's got that bit of arrogance on the ball that you need."
Molby also admitted that injuries may necessitate Suso playing wide in Rodgers' preferred 4-3-3 formation but urged the former Swansea City boss to play the teenager to a central role whenever possible.
Suso (Jesus Fernandez Saez) joined the Reds' youth academy three years ago, when he was spotted playing for Spanish lower division side Cadiz CF's youth squads. He signed his first professional contract with the Premier League giants in November, 2010 but apart from appearances in testimonials and friendlies, had to wait for his senior debut. That came in September this year, in a Europa League match against BSC Young Boys. He made his Premier League debut against Manchester United in Liverpool's next game and also has one appearance with the Spanish U21 side.
Liverpool host Wigan Athletic on Saturday in this weekend's league matches and the Reds desperately need points. Rodgers' men are only six points above the relegation zone, with 12 points from 11 games. Wigan are one place below them, with 11 from 11 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans