Liverpool Legend Jan Molby Wants Suso in a Central Role
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | November 17, 2012 12:06 AM EST
Ex-Liverpool midfielder Jan Molby believes Spanish youngster Suso is well suited to play a central attacking role for Brendan Rodgers' side. The 49 year old former Danish international noted, in the Liverpool Echo, that it was the introduction of the 18 year old Spaniard that radically changed the Premier League game against Chelsea last weekend.
The Reds travelled to Stamford Bridge last week and earned a 1-1 draw, after in-form Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez's second-half header neutralised a first-half goal from the Blues' skipper, John Terry. The match itself was one of two halves, with the hosts dominating the first period. Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech admitted after the match that his side should have scored at least once more in the period and not allowed the Anfield club's comeback after the break.
However, Rodgers' side did make the comeback and were a vastly improved side in the second half. And Molby believes it was Suso's introduction, on the hour mark for on-loan Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin, that eventually earned his former club a point.
"The young Spaniard has great ability - he can hold on to the ball, he can go past players and he sees a pass. He is different to Raheem Sterling, who is all about pace and taking players on," Molby commented, adding, "Suso is happy to slow it down and allow opposition players to get close. He's got that bit of arrogance on the ball that you need."
Molby also admitted that injuries may necessitate Suso playing wide in Rodgers' preferred 4-3-3 formation but urged the former Swansea City boss to play the teenager to a central role whenever possible.
Suso (Jesus Fernandez Saez) joined the Reds' youth academy three years ago, when he was spotted playing for Spanish lower division side Cadiz CF's youth squads. He signed his first professional contract with the Premier League giants in November, 2010 but apart from appearances in testimonials and friendlies, had to wait for his senior debut. That came in September this year, in a Europa League match against BSC Young Boys. He made his Premier League debut against Manchester United in Liverpool's next game and also has one appearance with the Spanish U21 side.
Liverpool host Wigan Athletic on Saturday in this weekend's league matches and the Reds desperately need points. Rodgers' men are only six points above the relegation zone, with 12 points from 11 games. Wigan are one place below them, with 11 from 11 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers