Arsenal Eye Unsettled Tottenham Stopper - Report
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | November 16, 2012 11:05 PM EST
Arsenal are reportedly interested in unsettled Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris. The 25 year old Frenchman, who signed for Spurs from Ligue 1 side Olympique Lyon in the summer, is understood to be unhappy with a lack of playing time and may force a move out of White Hart Lane. However, Spurs are believed to be unwilling to sell the France international, who they see as a long-term successor to present No 1, Brad Friedel.
Tottenham's £12m signing has barely featured this season, with the 41 year old Friedel monopolising game time and enjoying manager Andre Villas-Boas' confidence. Lloris has played in all of the club's European games (in the UEFA Europa League) this season and the 2-1 defeat at Carrow Road in the Capital One Cup. His only league appearance, though, was at home to Wigan, which the club lost 0-1.
Lloris' continued exclusion from Spurs' first team has also lead to France coach Didier Deschamps publically criticising the former Chelsea manager. Deschamps, 44, a former Blues midfielder, and AVB have had a few heated exchanges through press reports this season. Deschamps has also warned his compatriot he cannot expect to play for the national side if he is not a regular at the club level, meaning Lloris will now have to consider forcing Tottenham's hand to maintain his international berth.
Arsene Wenger does have a long-standing interest in Lloris. The Gunners were linked with a move for the goalkeeper in July, when he was still with Lyon. At that time, Liverpool were also interested in his services.
The Gunners have the Polish duo of Wojciech Szczesny and Lukasz Fabianski and Italian Vito Mannone but there are reports Wenger wants a more serious competitor to Szczesny for the No 1 spot. Meanwhile, the Reds have Spanish international Pepe Reina as their No 1 and Australian Brad Jones as back-up. However, Jones' contract expires at the end of the season and the club's lack of success has led to hints Reina may leave Anfield.
Ordinarily, given Spurs' determination to hold on to Lloris, a transfer would have been both difficult and expensive. However, the fact the player himself has admitted his situation is "difficult to accept" suggests that should he look to force the issue, a cut-price deal may be possible.
"I feel much at ease at the club but then again everything is possible. The coach of Tottenham has made his choice. I'm training and I do the maximum but it is difficult and hard to accept," Lloris was quoted as saying, adding, "Such questions over my position must also be asked to the coach. When you're a competitor, you want to be on the pitch."
Incidentally, Arsenal host Tottenham in the north London derby this weekend but Lloris is unlikely to start the game.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Kevin Love to Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Update: Minnesota GM Flip Saunders Wants Wiggins/Bennett Package
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]