Greek Policeman Arrested Over Race-Motivated Robberies in Athens
By Umberto Bacchi | November 16, 2012 10:44 PM EST
A Greek policeman accused of robbing a number of immigrants has been arrested in Athens, as racial tension in the southern European country remains high.
Police are holding a 31-year-old special guard and a 29-year-old employee of a security firm believed to be his accomplice, in connection with three armed muggings that took place in the central Athens district of Aghios Panteleimonas.
The two suspects were matched to a description provided by an Iranian national, whom they had allegedly robbed of €1,000 (£800) at gun-point before fleeing on a motorbike.
According to Greek police, the 29-year-old is also behind two muggings that singled out immigrants in the same district.
Earlier this month, the man allegedly forcibly stole the ATM card of a Bangladeshi national, later withdrawing €1,000 from his account.
In September he also robbed an Algerian man of €250, police believe.
A stronghold of neo-Nazi Party Golden Dawn, the rundown district of Aghios Panteleimonas has witnessed numerous race-related crimes against the thousands of Asian and African immigrants who live there.
Earlier this year, the Tanzanian community centre in the area was stormed by a mob of right-wing extremists. A rally staged across the neighbourhood by anti-fascist protesters in response to the attack was disrupted by a phalanx of right-wing extremists before the police intervened, arresting 15 demonstrators.
The arrested left-wing protesters later claimed to have been tortured by police officers while in custody.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People