Greek Policeman Arrested Over Race-Motivated Robberies in Athens
By Umberto Bacchi | November 16, 2012 10:44 PM EST
A Greek policeman accused of robbing a number of immigrants has been arrested in Athens, as racial tension in the southern European country remains high.
Police are holding a 31-year-old special guard and a 29-year-old employee of a security firm believed to be his accomplice, in connection with three armed muggings that took place in the central Athens district of Aghios Panteleimonas.
The two suspects were matched to a description provided by an Iranian national, whom they had allegedly robbed of €1,000 (£800) at gun-point before fleeing on a motorbike.
According to Greek police, the 29-year-old is also behind two muggings that singled out immigrants in the same district.
Earlier this month, the man allegedly forcibly stole the ATM card of a Bangladeshi national, later withdrawing €1,000 from his account.
In September he also robbed an Algerian man of €250, police believe.
A stronghold of neo-Nazi Party Golden Dawn, the rundown district of Aghios Panteleimonas has witnessed numerous race-related crimes against the thousands of Asian and African immigrants who live there.
Earlier this year, the Tanzanian community centre in the area was stormed by a mob of right-wing extremists. A rally staged across the neighbourhood by anti-fascist protesters in response to the attack was disrupted by a phalanx of right-wing extremists before the police intervened, arresting 15 demonstrators.
The arrested left-wing protesters later claimed to have been tortured by police officers while in custody.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’