Greek Policeman Arrested Over Race-Motivated Robberies in Athens
By Umberto Bacchi | November 16, 2012 10:44 PM EST
A Greek policeman accused of robbing a number of immigrants has been arrested in Athens, as racial tension in the southern European country remains high.
Police are holding a 31-year-old special guard and a 29-year-old employee of a security firm believed to be his accomplice, in connection with three armed muggings that took place in the central Athens district of Aghios Panteleimonas.
The two suspects were matched to a description provided by an Iranian national, whom they had allegedly robbed of €1,000 (£800) at gun-point before fleeing on a motorbike.
According to Greek police, the 29-year-old is also behind two muggings that singled out immigrants in the same district.
Earlier this month, the man allegedly forcibly stole the ATM card of a Bangladeshi national, later withdrawing €1,000 from his account.
In September he also robbed an Algerian man of €250, police believe.
A stronghold of neo-Nazi Party Golden Dawn, the rundown district of Aghios Panteleimonas has witnessed numerous race-related crimes against the thousands of Asian and African immigrants who live there.
Earlier this year, the Tanzanian community centre in the area was stormed by a mob of right-wing extremists. A rally staged across the neighbourhood by anti-fascist protesters in response to the attack was disrupted by a phalanx of right-wing extremists before the police intervened, arresting 15 demonstrators.
The arrested left-wing protesters later claimed to have been tortured by police officers while in custody.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation